Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Lighting Electrical problems 06 H3

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Default Lighting Electrical problems 06 H3

I just bought a 2006 H3 with 30k miles on it. I'm having some problems with the lighting system.
1. Headlights work fine on auto and when manually turned on.
2. Tail lights don't work, brake lights do work
3. fog lights work
4. Hazards all work fine
5. HVAC **** lighting and misc switches wont illuminate
6. Dome light won't work with override button in or out
7. Turn signals work fine
8. Backup lights work fine
I bought this thing "As Is" from a Chevy stealership 2 weeks ago. Is there anything saying they are responsible for fixing it?

Also, when I bought it I noticed the carpet was wet after they washed it. The salesman said a window might have been cracked. I bought that story. So then with all this snow we've been having I noticed water dripping from above the passenger kick panel into the floor. I found that the idiot previous owner put an XM antenna on it and ran the wire across the door weather stripping, allowing water to get in. I removed it. Now my concern is what if the water coming in got into some wiring and this is causing my lighting problems.
I've checked all the fuses twice and swapped any relays pertaining to the lighting system and the problems are still there. Any ideas? Sorry for the long post, I'm getting frustrated.
Other than the electrical problems, my wife and I love this thing and can't wait to get it out wheeling when the weather warms up. Thanks HF

Last edited by Mack; 02-13-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:48 PM

did you check the bulbs?

Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM

They work with the brakes on and turn signals

Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Brakes & turn signals are different bulbs or fillament than tail lights (not sure how the 3 is on the T they're seperate bulbs) do the front parking lights work? if so I'd guess it's the tail light bulbs or wires.

There's no easy fix for the HVAC controls, either have to replace the panel or cut out the old led's & solder in new ones, check this link out http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/vie...p?f=25&t=12103.

Dome light- check the bulb, are the under dash lights & map lights & working. if it's not the bulb my next guess would be the dash or door switch

Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 AM

The under-dash lights work. If I manually turn the headlight **** on I get headlights and that's it, no park lights, no tail lights. During the day with the **** in Auto, the park lights are on which I'm assuming is normal because they go out when I put the trans in park. When it's night only the headlights are on, no park lights or tail lights in either Auto or the "headlight on" position.

And about the water getting inside on my original post, from reading around on here it sounds like the sunroof drains may be clogged or the drain tube may have popped off under the dash on te passenger side, dumping water in (seems to be common on these cars.) I'm stressing out now because I'm sure with the amount of water saturation there will be mildew later. Guess I gotta find carpet already.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:50 PM

Okay, I had the dealer look at it. They are still trying to find where the water leak is coming from (I think it's the sunroof drains) but the water shorted out the BCM (body control module) which controls all the lighting. It's located in the passenger side kick panel where the water is dripping in.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM

It was the sunroof drain tubes. They were plugged and cracked open, spilling water into the floor and the kick panel shorting out the Body Control Module. After some words were said they fixed it no charge and even gave us a loaner thank God. What a relief, now it's time to really start enjoying this thing.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Keep an eye on those drains as this seems to be constant problem for alot of people w/ the sunroof, check the H3 area there's alot of posts about it there

Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 AM

Just an update incase anyone's interested...I've been parking further up the driveway out from underneath any trees just incase and no problems yet. I periodically go thru a "touchless" automatic car wash to really test it and haven't been disappointed yet. I've watched how much water comes thru the sunroof seal and into what I call the "drip rail" underneath where the drains connect. It's alot...wow! I actually think using the touchless car wash every so often along with regular hand washes is helping keep the inside of the drain tubes cleared out. But if I ever feel moisture in the carpet at least I know exactly where to go to fix it.

Other than that and being a bit underpowered (my wife doesn't notice it but I do) we are absolutely thrilled with the H3 and it does exactly what we wanted in a luxury SUV. I think the only other thing I will do to it until it's paid off is upgrade the brakes to some slotted/drilled rotors and premium pads to help slow her down a little quicker. Then it's time for a 6.0L swap, lift, and 35's.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
Just an update incase anyone's interested...I've been parking further up the driveway out from underneath any trees just incase and no problems yet. I periodically go thru a "touchless" automatic car wash to really test it and haven't been disappointed yet. I've watched how much water comes thru the sunroof seal and into what I call the "drip rail" underneath where the drains connect. It's alot...wow! I actually think using the touchless car wash every so often along with regular hand washes is helping keep the inside of the drain tubes cleared out. But if I ever feel moisture in the carpet at least I know exactly where to go to fix it.

Other than that and being a bit underpowered (my wife doesn't notice it but I do) we are absolutely thrilled with the H3 and it does exactly what we wanted in a luxury SUV. I think the only other thing I will do to it until it's paid off is upgrade the brakes to some slotted/drilled rotors and premium pads to help slow her down a little quicker. Then it's time for a 6.0L swap, lift, and 35's.
Mack, I doubt youre around anymore. I wanted to say thank you for this post - these are the exact same symptoms I have, exactly and this verified I need a new BCM. Thank you brother!

Quick Reply: Lighting Electrical problems 06 H3