PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

DVD out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Default RE: DVD out of Park

That's COOL!!!!

I WANT ONE!!!(not the car, the technology)

Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 AM

I do too. When you figure out how to; first get it and second how to install it, you will have to let me know. The reverse camera is nice but I would really like to know how that front corner is doing too.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

ORIGINAL: FrankW438

On Tuesday, I just installed an Eclipse AVN6620 in my H3. There waswire for the parking brake switch. I was tempted to just ground it instead of connecting it, so I could play DVDs, etc. but I didn't.

I did notice that the Nav menu won't let me make certain selections if the vehicle is motion, but it will if I am stopped at a red light, but still in DRIVE. I believe it uses the speed-pulse wire that I connected. I am tempted to disconnect that wire because its really annoying. But the Nav system uses the speed-pulse input to augment the GPS.

I kinda miss my Garmin, but that 7" screen is GORGEOUS!

-- Frank
I'm pretty sure the parking break dealy does both. I have the AVN6610 and I can watch DVD's and access Nav while driving and I'm pretty sure that's the ONLY thing my installer asked if I wanted.

Did you get the BEC106 rearcamera? It's AWESOME!!

Yup! I got the Back-up Camera. It's plugged in, but it's just sitting in my change cup. Everytime I put it in reverse, I see my hand on the shifter!

I have to wait until I get some warmer weather before I try and route the wiring for the camera. It was about 8 degrees(F not C)outside when I put the Nav Unit in my H3, I did the whole thing wearing gloves! The camera is the main reason I bought this unit. I am tempted to get the Bluetooth add-on for it, also.

I may bypass the parking brake switch, and I may install a switch on the dash so the back-up camera will come on manually, as well as automatically when I put it in reverse. The side-view camera takes an extra power supply, and I just can't see the usefulness, at least for me. Then again, I haven't tried to parallel park my lil' H3 yet.

There was a local dealer who quoted me a price of about $2800 to install the older AVN6610, and he said it was "illegal" for him to bypass the parking brake switch. He said all I had to do was push the emergency brake down "just one click" and I'd be able to watch DVDs while driving. I tried that and it didn't seem to work. Maybe it will work for your Hummer, though.

-- Frank

Old 02-16-2008, 02:41 AM

On Tuesday, I just installed an Eclipse AVN6620 in my H3. There waswire for the parking brake switch. I was tempted to just ground it instead of connecting it, so I could play DVDs, etc. but I didn't.

I did notice that the Nav menu won't let me make certain selections if the vehicle is motion, but it will if I am stopped at a red light, but still in DRIVE. I believe it uses the speed-pulse wire that I connected. I am tempted to disconnect that wire because its really annoying. But the Nav system uses the speed-pulse input to augment the GPS.

I kinda miss my Garmin, but that 7" screen is GORGEOUS!

-- Frank
I'm pretty sure the parking break dealy does both. I have the AVN6610 and I can watch DVD's and access Nav while driving and I'm pretty sure that's the ONLY thing my installer asked if I wanted.

Did you get the BEC106 rearcamera? It's AWESOME!!

Yup! I got the Back-up Camera. It's plugged in, but it's just sitting in my change cup. Everytime I put it in reverse, I see my hand on the shifter!

I have to wait until I get some warmer weather before I try and route the wiring for the camera. It was about 8 degrees(F not C)outside when I put the Nav Unit in my H3, I did the whole thing wearing gloves! The camera is the main reason I bought this unit. I am tempted to get the Bluetooth add-on for it, also.

I may bypass the parking brake switch, and I may install a switch on the dash so the back-up camera will come on manually, as well as automatically when I put it in reverse. The side-view camera takes an extra power supply, and I just can't see the usefulness, at least for me. Then again, I haven't tried to parallel park my lil' H3 yet.

There was a local dealer who quoted me a price of about $2800 to install the older AVN6610, and he said it was "illegal" for him to bypass the parking brake switch. He said all I had to do was push the emergency brake down "just one click" and I'd be able to watch DVDs while driving. I tried that and it didn't seem to work. Maybe it will work for your Hummer, though.

-- Frank

The OWNER of the local car stereo shop said they WOULDN'T bypass the parking break, but the installer did it for me anyhoo!!

Told me NOT TO TELL HIS BOSS!!!

As far as the backup camera coming on MANUALLY, on the 6610 , you can turn it ON so it's always ON or have it come on just when you back-up!! My nephew LOVES playing with this while I'm driving so, to quote him, "We can see where we've been"!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:52 PM

The OWNER of the local car stereo shop said they WOULDN'T bypass the parking break, but the installer did it for me anyhoo!!

Told me NOT TO TELL HIS BOSS!!!

As far as the backup camera coming on MANUALLY, on the 6610 , you can turn it ON so it's always ON or have it come on just when you back-up!! My nephew LOVES playing with this while I'm driving so, to quote him, "We can see where we've been"!!!
Yeah, the 6620 will do that, too, but it's kinda of awkward to navigate the menus to get to that option. Looking at your pictures, I don't know what the difference is between the 6610 and the 6620.

I did notice that my dimmer isn't working. It doesn't switch the map display to nighttime colors when the headlights are on, like it says it will. I hope I don't have a lose connection. Everything else is working perfectly.

Do you actually play DVDs on yours while you're driving? I'm not talking about the back seat monitors, but the main screen. I know its illegal, but I just dont think I would want to do that in the first place. Unless it's for your front-seat passenger.

-- Frank

Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 AM

I didn't see/read about ANY differences between the 6610 and 6620 either? I upgraded to the 6610 just over a year ago from my AVN2454 JUST for the 7" screen, plus the ability to run the NAV and DVDat the same time!!

Yeah, I usually play DVD'S when we travel and have the video go to the Vizualgic Visor(for the wife) and the headrests for the Nephew. I usually keep the NAV running on the HU.

9" Headrests!!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:14 PM

HummBob:

Very nice setup! If I had an H2, that would be the way to go for me. We don't do long trips in my H3. My wife's minivan is much more comfortable for the kids in the back seat, and it came with a DVD system.

When you're playing a DVD for your passengers, how does your audio work? I thought I read somewhere the DVD audio comes out of the rear speakers, and the front speakers are am/fm and nav instructions. Maybethat was another unit I was researching.

-- Frank

Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 AM

THANKS!!! No, the audio comes out of all the speakers, but if I'm USING NAV, she(the voice) comes in through the drivers side front speaker.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 PM

Can my h3 with factory navi play dvds? I would like to install some units in my headrest, and controll it from the front unit like the h2. I think the unit should have a extra output.