PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb, but totally necessary question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Default Dumb, but totally necessary question...

Don't laugh, but... how do you rev the engine without pushing the gas pedal??

I know there is some kind of lever or something under the hood that I can pull or whatever.

Yes, I feel dumb, but would really like to know

Old 07-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Default RE: Dumb, but totally necessary question...

It's called the throttle body. Most of them have a little tip on the outside that is connected to the throttle blade mechanism. In fact, your gas pedal has a cable, which runs from the inside compartment to the engine bay, and connects to the throttle mechanism. When you press on the peddle, you tighten and pull the throttle cable, which in turns opens the throttle blade to allow air into engine. It's pretty simple and straight forward.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Yes, I know what the throttle body is, cant find this cable/tip... took a few pictures, maybe someone can help me locate it...

Old 07-06-2008, 02:24 PM

The site isnt letting me post pictures

Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 PM

Don't feel too bad, I haven't looked lately, but I seem to remember it being covered by a plastic shroud.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 PM

most modern engines are actully Fly-by-Wire which means your accelerator pedal will move a potentiometer adistance "X" which gets translated in the computer as throttle position "y"

I am pretty sure all of GM currently has fly by wire.... the H2s and H1 TDs are....

Old 07-06-2008, 10:51 PM

ORIGINAL: phazer42

most modern engines are actully Fly-by-Wire which means your accelerator pedal will move a potentiometer adistance "X" which gets translated in the computer as throttle position "y"

I am pretty sure all of GM currently has fly by wire.... the H2s and H1 TDs are....
So in the H3, I can't do it?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:42 PM

I don't know for sure, I am not totally familiar with the engine compartment on there.... but likley no......

Old 07-07-2008, 06:19 AM

The gas pedal on the H3 is electronically operated. There is no mechanical cable from the inside to the engine, just wires. Its one of the things that drives me nuts about my H3, the computer lag. Every once in a while, esp when waiting to pull out in traffic, there is a lag as the computer tries to compute how to deal with me mashing on the gas pedal most efficiently. It may be more pronounced with the 5sp.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: phazer42

The above is correct. there is no cable under the hood. the gas pedal electronically controls the throttle. All modern GM is fly by wire.

Quick Reply: Dumb, but totally necessary question...