PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Driving in sand question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Default Driving in sand question

We just made our first drive off road, in deep sand on a beach. I have a question as I've read conflicting advice about something; should Idrive inthe tracks made by other vehicles in the sand or make new tracks?
TIA for any advice.
BTW, we LOVED the feeling of driving onthe beach, waves crashing right outside our H3; we can't wait to go back!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Default RE: Driving in sand question

When I lived in VA Beach we used to follow the tracks unless they were deep ruts. Just figured that the sand is packed down there a little better for driving (at least on a beach where it is wet). I have always heard conflicting reports on this also, just know that it always worked for me. But if you are wanting to have fun "off roading" you might want to stay out of the tracks for the same reason.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:41 PM

Tough question w/out seeing the terrain, but I wouldn't use staying in the ruts as a maxim to use whenver you're in sand. Use your judgement and see what your rig is telling you.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Driving in sand is kind of a tricky question. What kind of sand, wet or dry, hard packed or loose, etc...
Sounds like beach sand for you and hard packed. No big deal there, follow the tracks because you know someone has ALREADY gone through there and made it. If you follow them to a stuck vehicle, DON'T STOP, keep an even speed, and try to move away from the soft spot where they are.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:59 PM

Here in California "Pismo"we have the same luxury of driving on the beach.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:42 PM

but one of the benefits of Pismo is that there are dunes as well . . . . . .

Old 02-01-2008, 11:18 PM

Was this a "Gay HUMMER Owners" outing? If it was I may be interested in future events.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 AM

If you follow the tire tracks you know you can get through.

I know we all like to go blasting through the sand and think wheel spin will power us out and with a HUmmer, in most cases it will. But If you find yourself in some deap sand and are starting to get bogged down, here are some things I have found that are helpful.

1. Avoid stopping.
2. If you have to stop, stay off the brakes, coast to a stop.
3. Use steady engine power. Ease on and off the throttle.
4. Try to get up on top of the sand. Faster is better than slower.
5. Lower tire pressure works better than hard tires.
6. Bald tires work the best. Big mud lugs work terrible.
7. Avoid turning your steering wheel.
8. Avoid wheel spin. If you are stuck it only turns the tires into mining equipment and I have seen tires melt from the heat generated by the friction.

If you are getting stuck, ease off the throttle and it may pop out on top of the sand.

If you do get stuck, get off the throttle as you may dig yourself down to the frame and hang it up. If you have hung it up, jack it up, fill in the whole the let it back down.

Get out and dig a level path in front of the tire or whichever way you plan to drive out. You do not need to dig out the sides of the tire because you aren't driving out sidways. Very lightly ease onto the throttle and let it build up speed to get you back on top of the sand. If the wheels just spin and you don't get out, dig your flat spot again and roll back and forth untill you have packed down a long enough ramp to get back out on top of the sand.

Things likeboards, rocks, young children and such placed in front of the tires only work like wheel chocks unless they are placed level with or below the bottom of the tire.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I've been in sand, Michigan has **** loads of it. Soft, fine powder, packed, wet, coarse........we got it all. I have NEVER heard of follow the track until this thread. I guess if you are in a mini van you should definitely follow the tracks?

Bald tires suck, but I do agree that most good mud tires are not good sand tires. The 33 Deulers are adequate, but they are not great either, You need flotation in sand. Wide tires do great as there is no need to dig to traction like in mud, and snow for that matter. Tall tires do not help you. 35s may look sweet, but 33s with more width will run circles around the taller tire.

With a 3, just run 4 hi lock, and TURN OFF the StabliTrack. As heavy as the 3 is, it does pretty dang darn good in sand, and with real tires, it can go anywhere you want. I can go anywhere with the stock Deulers, just takes a little more finesse.

Name:  DSC00898.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  DSC00936.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  71.8 KB

Old 02-02-2008, 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Daytona Hummer

Things likeboards, rocks, young children and such placed in front of the tires only work like wheel chocks unless they are placed level with or below the bottom of the tire.

Quick Reply: Driving in sand question