PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diesel or alternative fuel modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Default RE: diesel or alternative fuel modifications

And here's the link to the producers website:

http://www.prins-lpg.com/

Old 05-14-2006, 05:39 AM

Heres what i've found about the possibilities with H2s and alternative fuels (diesel, E85, propane).

DIESEL. as everybody would know, no such option is available. http://www.stallioncustoms.com/h1h2dudico.html and other places discuss conversions. There are rumors (per local dealer) about such an option being available in ~2008. The duramax engine. On alot of levels, this makes sense. The wildly high torque (and at low RPM) make that engine better suited for offroading, and would open up the possibility of a 5 speed auto with a very low-rpm overdrive cruise option. There's no reason you couldn't get 20mpg on the highway out of an H2, giving that gorgeous hunk of metal a 600 mile cruise range.

But, the H2 is caddy-quiet at lower speeds, and you'd get some diesel rumble-muck for your trouble i'm sure. some people like the sound, some people hate the smell, blah blah blah

E85. The 6 liter GM engine is not available in an E85 version, and isn't easily made compatible with E85 fuel. Basically, the engine is too low in compression for ideal function in combination with E85. The 5.3 liter engine is available in an "alternative fuel" version, with power specs not very much different.

In the H2 the 6 liter engine delivers 316 horsies at 5200 RPM and 360 ftlbs of torque at 4000. In the GMC Sierra (or Tahoe, etc.) the 5.3 liter flex-fuel engine yields 295 horse at 5200 and 335 ftlbs at 4000. The 5.3 and 6 liter motors are based on the small block V8 that's existed for decades, the 6 liter just being bored out a little more. The GMC site (or chevy site) doesn't specify if that power output is as high with E85, and it may or may not be.

Teh 6 liter can be modifed for E85 compatibility, but this is a fairly involved process. Pistons have to be modified for higher compression and the computer system has to be modified.

If you opt to go with the 6 liter re-build or a conversion to a 5.3 liter flex-fuel engine, my understanding is that your warranty will be voided en summe, and you will be at the mercy/leniency of the dealership for warranty work. I've put in a formal request to the dealer for info on engine conversion and warranty work on the 4WD system, & will report back.

The new motor itself could, of cuorse, come with a considerable warranty.

Propane. Propane conversions for many vehicles are possible, including le hummus 2imus. I believe that i located a GM-certified (sop you can keep your warranty) conversion place, but i'll be dipped if i can find my notes about it right now. It was here in Minnesota.

So, in any remote reality, only the propane conversion is possibly sensible from an economic standpoint, as voiding your warranty + a motor re-build and/or new motor + pain of installing a different motor will cost thousands more than you'd ever save by running E85.

but, then a prius isn't economically viable, either. and, frankly, at $2.70/gallon, gas is still pretty darn cheap, cheap enough to really not matter even if you're only getting 13 in normal driving like my H2. but if you want to give an E-terrorist the middle finger for a change & get environmentalistic, this is what i've found out to date.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:15 AM

You guys are still lucky with such a low gas price !
Our belowed government has now seen to a gas price of 12.12 NOK = 1.95 USD - pr LITRE !
I'm paying NOK 4.65 / L for propane and even with a slightly higher consumption I'm easily doing a chaper mileage than a average towncar !!
I have paid the conversion kit after my first year of driving and after that it's all savings

Old 07-21-2006, 04:32 AM

Misster
tell us more about the LPG conversion, one or two of the Aussie Right hand drive 'converters' of new imported H2s are saying they may be able to do this as an option, but no one from what i can find out has actually done the LPG conversion here as yet...but I don't want to be the test pilot either..So, if you don't mind I have some ?s..
1. how long have you had the conversion
2. is it dual fuel, if so what are the sizes/capacities of the 2 tanks
3. what range kms do you get from the LPG
4. does this register in the dash info system..L/100kms
5. what L/100 kms do you get from LPG vs petrol
6. where are the tanks located

In aussie $s LPG 57c/ litre, std petrol ~ $1.20/litre, premium fuel $1.31...

Regards
david
H2D2

Old 07-23-2006, 10:07 AM

Hi !

Don't hesitate if you can get the Prince conversion ! You'll get the best of both worlds...

1. Since April when I bought the car, soon 30000 km ago...
2. Yes I have the original gas tank untouched and the LPG tank is 180 litres - 150 litres effective. I can switch manually from one to another or let it go automatically when one tank is empthy.
3. Driving nicely at 90-100 km/h I get 20L/100 km. In town and when overtaking a bit about 25 L/100 km.
4. Not sure, I dont use it because of the size of error... I do my own notifications.
5. I'm going about the same range with both tanks - but filling the gas tank costs over 2 times the price of the LPG tank !!
6. As I have mentioned earlier, we have some strange rules here in Norway... ...that's why I have the front seats only and rest is gargo space. The LPG tank is located right behind the front seats. Not that big loss of space considering the
savings I'm getting from the LPG ! ( If I'd put inn the back seat, it would cost me about a 1.000.000,- NOK...!! That'll be about $155.000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Some gas stations have LPG and there is some LPG stations of their own, in these 3 montsh I've had my H2 I have filled the gas tank once

Happy driving !
Misster

Old 07-23-2006, 10:24 AM

Misster
thanks for coming back with the info...I figured having both tanks in the car they must have taken the space from somewhere..unfortunately I still want to use all my seats for passengers

Thanks again
PS any loss of power etc running on LPG

Old 07-23-2006, 01:12 PM

No loss of power whatsoever !
I can switch back and worth from gasoline to propane not noticing any difference - just saving money, and environment !

And my driving range with a full tank of propane is from 550 km to 620 km !

No need to say I'm very pleased ...!

Old 07-23-2006, 06:41 PM

I wonder if Prince has done other H2s where people have needed the seating capacity, where would they place the propane tanks...what I thought as an alternative would be to remove the 135L fuel tank, put in a smaller auxillary tank ..say 30L [small range for emergency ~ 100kms], and then put with it [using] the same space left, put in a 100L LPG tank...obviously the bigger propane tank they can fit into the space the better as this option would only give a short driving range ..~400kms..fine for around town but not for a long country run...could you ask

Thanks

Old 07-24-2006, 10:29 AM

At least here they can place the tank whereever you want, but I don't know about other countries.
you have to ask your local shop/supplier by yourself I'm afraid...

Old 07-27-2006, 12:50 AM

There are a few Duramax diesel conversions out there but they are EXPENSIVE...
If/when AM General/GM put a diesel in the H2 and add tow capacity of 10k+, I will think about getting one.