PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Did I make a mistake? H3 vs 4 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Default Did I make a mistake? H3 vs 4 Runner

Pulled the trigger and traded my 04 4 Runner for 06 H3 I am a nervous wreck wondering if I made a mistake or not. all that I have been reading about head problems and lack of power, plus not having a dealer in my area, and then Hummer being sold to China. I haven't picked it up yet and don't know if I will. I know the head was replaced at 11,000 and now it has 53,000 on the clock. can anybody ease my mind? also worried about gas milage.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 AM

First, i would not be concerned at all about the sale to china. Hummers will still be serviced in the US and assembled by americans in the US. as far as the cyl. head problem, if you have that many miles on the repair already you will be fine. As far as underpowered, i would agree, but nothing serious to deal with. you can still get in trouble with the law if you have a heavy foot. a lot of poeple that bought H3's went from 4x4's with V-8's or diesels and never drove anything less than 8cyl's. now you have a 5cyl. takes time to get used to.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 AM

You really need to sit down and do a cross benifit analysis.... ask the questions
1.) What didn't I like about the 4runner (why did you get rid of it)
2.) Why did you want a Hummer?
3.) What are you using the Hummer for? (What type of driving ewill you be doing? street/offroad percentile)
4.) What type of extended warranty did they give the previous owner (they usually beefed it up cause of the head... I know someone that had theirs replaced and hasn't had any issues since and they are close to 75k)

Answer these to help us respond back... the sale to china shouldn't both you since your previous rig was a Yota!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Gas mileage isn't that much different than your 4 runner. Personally I find the 3 a lot more comfortable than the 4 runner. The 4 runner feels clumsy to me.

Head should be fine if it was replaced at 11k.

Lack of power isn't too much of an issue unless you are used to driving vettes.

China deal is nothing big.Still built in U.S. and parts will be readily available. Heck, they might even open a dealer in your area in the future.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Default Mistake?

Well I have a clunking noise in the 4 runner just replaced the rear shocks and front struts with mounting pads which the dealer said it needed and the clunk is still there, I think the Altenator is going, has 78,000 miles on it and I think it will start to nickle dime me. Also I have a bad back and just can't drive it for any distance. I really won't be driving it it will be for my wife which has owned nothing but trucks or SUV's since I meet her 22yrs ago. we live on some steep hills in upstate NY and we need 4wd, Both here and I love the looks of the H3 and it is pretty comfortable to ride in. She had a Tahoe before the 4runner and I still here about it for getting rid of it. Power is really not that much of a concern because it will be mostly city driving and a few road trips. I really don't want to jump from one frying pan to another with the nickle dime stuff, I usally buy new but with the way the economy is now just can't do it. Buy the way she loves the H3

Old 10-11-2009, 09:49 AM

My wife has the 4 runner and I have the H3. I let her drive it the other day and she asked me "Do you like the 4Runner?"

Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Default mistake

And your answer was?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 AM

I had an '04 Jeep Liberty Renegade before I traded it in for my '06 H3. The Liberty was really nice. I waited almost 2 1/2 years to buy one. After a looking at the H3 for a few years, I decided that I wanted one. I saw this black H3 with brushguard at a local used car lot that is on my to work. After a week of passing by, I finally decided to stop and check it out. The test drive is all it took to convince me. It had 63,000 mi. on it when I bought it and it now has a little over 70,000. It did have to have the catalytic converter manifold replaced, but GM took care of that. I have had to replace the brake pads and that is about it for major expenses. I have spent an additional $5K in mods. That is how much I like this H3. Be comfortable with trading the 4Runner for the H3. You will be glad you did.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by White08H3
Gas mileage isn't that much different than your 4 runner. Personally I find the 3 a lot more comfortable than the 4 runner. The 4 runner feels clumsy to me.

Head should be fine if it was replaced at 11k.

Lack of power isn't too much of an issue unless you are used to driving vettes.

China deal is nothing big.Still built in U.S. and parts will be readily available. Heck, they might even open a dealer in your area in the future.
I agree... I use to own a fully loaded 06 4 runner and recently bought my wife an 07 H3. I love the 3 so much better. I feel safer and more comfortable in it even with out all the options my 4 runner had. The gas milage difference wasn't too bad. Well worth it for the better looks and feel of the H3. Glad my wife wanted one.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 PM

u guys are making me feel better keep going

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake? H3 vs 4 Runner