PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design fault or just me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:17 AM
Default RE: Design fault or just me?

H3's have a seat heater??? I think I know why my brother is always smiling to himself and I am always sweating when I go for a drive with him.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 AM

H3's have a seat heater??? I think I know why my brother is always smiling to himself and I am always sweating when I go for a drive with him.
LOL!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Happens to me all the time. At first, I thought it was the warmer spring weather, but after a couple of time noticed that somehow I always turn the heaters on accidentally when getting in or out (have not figured out which it is yet).

Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 PM

It is the plastic surround on the bottom of the seats. As you get out of the H3, the leather or cloth presses down and out on the plastic surround that surrounds the switches on the seat. When you finally get out and your weight releases the seat material, the plastic snaps back, pulling the top of the heater toggle switch in, turning on the heater for the next time you go anywhere.
Has anyone reported this to a dealer to see if they have come up with a fix or service bulletin? It may be a simple fix to just elongate the switch opening in the plastic so it won't catch it.
Maybe I will have to experiment.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM

this has kinda worried me now, am gonna check now if its on or off lol.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 PM

Happens every time I get in or out. I'm thinking out. I don't use the running boards when leaving the vehicle, only to get in. My wife doesn't have any problem, and she uses the running boards to get in and out.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 AM

crazy talk about hummers

Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 PM

I think the design flaw is the toggle switch, but the problem is getting in an out with out using the running board. The toggle switches suck, in that they do not LOCK into positions (high, lo, off). Just placing the switch in the middle to turn it off is awful. We have to toggle up and down a few times just to get it in the correct position to keep it off. We haven't noticed it turning on by itself yet.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM

This always happened on the passenger seat in my H3. I couldn't take it anymore so I traded it in on a Jeep Commander. (It didn't hurt that the Commander has a Hemi. 220 hp to 330 hp is quite a jump. And my seat heaters don't mysteriously turn themselves on.) Really, that's not the reason that I traded it......I just wanted more power.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cdobis
It is the plastic surround on the bottom of the seats. As you get out of the H3, the leather or cloth presses down and out on the plastic surround that surrounds the switches on the seat. When you finally get out and your weight releases the seat material, the plastic snaps back, pulling the top of the heater toggle switch in, turning on the heater for the next time you go anywhere.
Has anyone reported this to a dealer to see if they have come up with a fix or service bulletin? It may be a simple fix to just elongate the switch opening in the plastic so it won't catch it.
Maybe I will have to experiment.
Bingo! This is exactly what is happening. I had my "certified" Chevy dealer replace the switches, the lower plastic seat panel, and even the seat foam under the leather covering.

They finally fixed it with a minor modification: They drilled and countersunk the plastic seat panel and used a screw to attach the panel to the seat frame. Keeps the plastic panel in place when you get in or out. So it doesn't slide over the toggle switch and turn it on.

I love my Hummer, but with lack of attention to design details like this, it's no wonder GM went under.

Quick Reply: Design fault or just me?