Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Design fault or just me? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/design-fault-just-me-5541/)

whitestick 05-21-2007 12:03 AM

Design fault or just me?

I'm having problems with my seat heaters for the driver and passenger side front seats. It seems that whenever someone gets out, (or sometimes getting in) the seat heater switch gets toggled on. I know it's a rocker switch, but this happens so frequently that something seems amiss. Do you have a similar problem?
There are are two unused/available switch ports on the dash next to the cigarette/dc power ports, and it almost seems that they should have switches in them to control the two front seat heaters. Is this a design flaw that should have used the dash switchs rather then the ones drectly in the seats, which keep getting turned on?
Any idea of what it would cost/entail to have the seat heaters wired to switches in the dash, and disconnect the ones on the seat themselves?

dilo2001gt 05-21-2007 06:41 AM

RE: Design fault or just me?

a lot of labor
It happens to me somtimes when i get out i must hit the switch it is in a bad spot all the switches are.

Hummer Guy 05-21-2007 10:25 AM

It's a problem if no one is touching it, and the heater is on when the toggle switch is in the center (not engaged). It is accidental pushing if it is engaged up or down upon getting in. I haven't noticed them being bumped at all by myself or passengers...but I'm one of many thousands.

Sandy07H3BG 05-21-2007 11:02 AM

Happens too me all the time!

Mr H3x 05-21-2007 11:29 AM

I've never had it happen to me but I would suggest that you consentrate on what you are doing as you enter the Hummer and see how it is that you are flipping the switch.Maybe you can do something a little different. Changing the way you enter will be a whole lot cheaper than switching your controls around.

whitestick 05-21-2007 02:33 PM

Unfortunately, both my husband and myself are experiencing the same problem. And we are both too old and too sedentary to change the way we get in and out of vehicles. Never had this problem with other vehicles, not even husband's SAAB, and it has seat warmers as well - course the switches are on the dash. :)
Re: HummerGuy, I believe that it is a design problem rather then a mechanical problem. Don't seem to notice the other switches moving the seat out of position or anything, just the seat warmers being toggled on. Might have helped if the switch location was further back, or someplace where it doesn't get bumped as we get in and out. Thus my suggestion/question about the dash location, which seems like it was made for them anyway. :eek:

Hummer Guy 05-21-2007 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: whitestick

RE: HummerGuy, I believe that it is a design problem rather then a mechanical problem. Don't seem to notice the other switches moving the seat out of position or anything, just the seat warmers being toggled on. Might have helped if the switch location was further back, or someplace where it doesn't get bumped as we get in and out. Thus my suggestion/question about the dash location, which seems like it was made for them anyway. :eek:
Anything can be done - but at some point it may be cost prohibitive.

HummBob 05-21-2007 04:14 PM

Just YOU!!;):D

whitestick 05-21-2007 10:21 PM

Dang! Was afraid that might be the answer. Hoping for better though.[sm=boohoo.gif][sm=boohoo.gif]

kild1 05-21-2007 10:36 PM

it happens to us all the time too