PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision Time: TrailBlazer vs. H3

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Default RE: Decision Time: Trailblazer vs. H3

A few months ago, the wife gave me the green light to go look at a new vehicle for myself. I have always been a 4dr-sedan kind of guy, but I decided an SUV would be more practical for me. I looked at Dodge Nitros, Ford Escapes, and Jeep Liberties,etcbut I wasn't really impressed with any of them. I talked to a couple friends who had recently gotten Trailblazers as company cars, and they really seemed to like them. So I drove to a local Chevy dealer after work one night and...

THERE

IT

WAS.

They had a "used" H3 on their lot with all of seven (7) miles on it. It was ALL BLACK: wheels, grill, brush guard and step bars. It turned out to bea Tactical Edition. I was SO IN LOVE! I came back the next morning, test drove it, and brought it home that afternoon. My wife put up a little resistance until SHE got behind the wheel. I could tell by the grin on her face as she drove down the road that it was a done deal.

I never even glanced at the Trailblazers.

I know my little story doesn't help you make the decision as to which is a better vehicle for you, but that's the point. Buying my H3 wasn't a logical decision. It was love at first sight, a gut instinct that it was the vehicle for me. And I haven't regretted it one bit.

-- Frank

Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Gotta love what you drive. Can't be a totally practical decision.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 AM

We have TBs at work and I put a lot more miles on them than I do my H3. Both vehicle have there up sides. From what you've said the H3 would suit you just as well as the TB.

As far as options to get, if there is any chance you may need to tow something,get the tow package. It's prety cheep and the aftermarket hitches for the H3 leave a lot to be desired.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 PM

Well went to the Hummer dealership today and gave the H3 and the H3 alpha a test ride. Was pleasantly surprised on how nice the H3 was to drive after hearing some negative stuff. They had a bunch on the lot. The one I was looking at was pretty much basic. (I would like a gas cap cover installed if I were to get it - do you know if they come in black or do they have to be chrome?) Anyway, it is pretty similar to the TB, rode a little higher, didn't feel too much of a difference with the alpha, though I think the V8 made it sound better. Really tough call. The price on the H3 is a bit better than the TB, however the TB i'm looking at is pretty loaded up and has alot of features that the H3 doesn't. Features that are nice but that I can live without (i.e. sunroof, 6-cd, leather seats)

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM

You can get those same features on the LUX. And yes, you can get a black fuel door. At least you can at my dealership. You've had your first taste, now go back for seconds

Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 PM

If I was a sensible guy, I would probably buy a Toyota RAV4 and be done with it. Low maintenance, great drive, practical, high resale, boring looks, nobody cares.. what else could you ask for?

But no - I love the H3! It's a toy truck with some practicality, so why not?

I'm glad that you found the H3 to be nice to drive because it is! I was pleasantly surprised too.... what was originally a 'sunday test drive/tire kicking' became a lease!!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 PM

My 08' H3 Alpha has heated leather seats, sun roof, 6 CD changer, all the bells & whistles I need and to answer your question, the gas cap covers come in chrome & black.

I looked at a Trailblazer today just for kicks & giggles while my custom exhaust was being installed on my Alpha (Chevy dealer was across the street). It is indeed a very nice vehicle BUT it’s just another SUV. It’s a grocery getter as far as I’m concerned. As nice as it is there’s nothing special about it, it looks like all the other SUV’s out there. Not that I’m an expert but I’ve never seen a Trailblazer off road.

The H3 on the other hand is rugged looking, off-road capable BUT sophisticated enough that you can take your wife or girl out to the theater/dinner in.

Before I bought my Alpha I looked at them all, the Trailblazer, Avalanche, Envoy, Yukon even the GMC Acadia. But I knew they were all “girly man trucks”.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Alphadogg; I am with you on this one. The TB/Envoy are nice On Road station wagons, that can get off the pavement a bit, like to a favorite fishin hole, picinic spot etc. If that is what you want, a station wagon looking a like a truck, good deal.

I wanted a real truck, capable to do it all, any where, in any weather. I am enjoying my 07 Adventure, more than I expected actually. When it's cleaned up, it looks right at home in town, and I know what it can do out of town.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:38 AM

I went through the same process when I was in the market. H3, SSTB or Jeep SRT8. The Jeep was really cool!! But the SRT8 is really to pricey IMO. The SSTB looks like all the millions of TB out there on the highway. The looks was the deciding factor in my choice.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks - that black fuel door option, is that metal or hard plastic?

Quick Reply: Decision Time: TrailBlazer vs. H3