PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death to chrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Default Death to chrome

In my bid to get rid of more chrome, I wanted the inlaid letters of the rear, but
Of corse not anything chrome so I got some stainless letters and now I'm wrapping them in some chameleon carbonfiber. I'm gonna do the same for the door badges but I have two different colors for them,we'll post when completed.
But for now, s quick look at the letters I'm doing...

Attached Thumbnails Death to chrome-img_2839.jpg   Death to chrome-img_2840.jpg   Death to chrome-img_2842.jpg  
Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 AM

That looks great!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Caraddict
That looks great!
Thanks, I'm hoping it will look like I planned when I put them on.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by E-dragon
Thanks, I'm hoping it will look like I planned when I put them on.
Please post pics!

Old 01-21-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Caraddict
Please post pics!
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...16/#post341737

Old 01-22-2017, 02:37 PM

That is sweet. I didn't realize how much chrome there was until I started to get rid of it. Problem right now is my grill. Chromed plastic. Has anyone had any success with some of these new darkening products on the market? I hate the thought of the sanding involved.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by dontheo55
That is sweet. I didn't realize how much chrome there was until I started to get rid of it. Problem right now is my grill. Chromed plastic. Has anyone had any success with some of these new darkening products on the market? I hate the thought of the sanding involved.
Just this summer I repainted my chrome grill. I did a quick sand job with my orbital palm sander and sandblasted the harder to reach areas. Then I used chipguard paint ( rocker panel paint ) it's a bit thick and you can get a light texture if you want (I did) and so far so good, no issues.
The grill comes off in like under a minute, once off its pretty easy to sand and sandblast, and paint.
I did at first just paint over the chrome, no prep other than to degrease and clean. I knew it wouldn't last, but just in case I didn't like the look of it I could just clean it off. It actually lasted a couple of years but then it got hit by something resembling a small bolder and it chipped the paint after that I did the above....

Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 AM

E-Dragon

That just what I want to do. Not sure on the color. I have the original factory paint which I like and is in excellent shape. I will check the chip guard paint. Sounds like a good idea. I picked up some plastic chrome pieces from the side of the road and started trying different methods. Stripping the chrome seems to give the best adhesion.

I would like to tint the side markers too. I can't find any tinted on-line, except with chrome. Still working on a solution for that.

T

Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by dontheo55
E-Dragon

That just what I want to do. Not sure on the color. I have the original factory paint which I like and is in excellent shape. I will check the chip guard paint. Sounds like a good idea. I picked up some plastic chrome pieces from the side of the road and started trying different methods. Stripping the chrome seems to give the best adhesion.

I would like to tint the side markers too. I can't find any tinted on-line, except with chrome. Still working on a solution for that.

T
Yea with most of the chip guard paints you can paint over them I didn't have to because my truck is black..