PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom subwoofer enclosure for the back of the H3...progress is made

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Default Custom subwoofer enclosure for the back of the H3...progress is made

I don't know how the heck to post pictures on here...and frankly there are so many already it would be too time consuming...so I have made a Shutterfly page to chronicle the progress on my install. Here is the link:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...Gw&notag=1

To tell you where I am with this right now...I have my head unit in and playing through the stock speakers. My H has the base audio system. I have two amplifiers and a cap (no need to re-debate this topic, I got a 1-farad which I think will work well), one a 4-channel Alpine and the other a Profile Baja subwoofer amplifier that puts out 350w rms at 2 ohms. I have Blaupunkt seperates for the front, 6.5" speakers for back doors, and a pair of Alpine Type E subwoofers for the back. The speakers will be mounted in the enclosure you will see in the pictures-it will be mounted on the driver's side rear as I have two dogs that ride in the H-trizzle and I didn't want to tie up more cargo area than necessary. The amplifiers, for now, will be mounted in a rack bolted to the floor with a clear plexi cover to prevent dog feet from damaging them.

Anyway, take a look and see what you think. Tonight I basically got the first coat of resin on and reinforced a small part with fiberglass mat. Tomorrow night the rest of the shell will be matted...the following day I will start on the backside of the thing and figure out how to actually afix it to the interior panel. Hopefully by Friday I can start the "bodywork" on the enclosure and get it prepared for a finish. I am planning to coat it with a rough coating similar to what is on the panel from the factory. I think that this will a: make the bodywork easier because the chunky paint will hide MINOR imperfections, and b: it will blend in that much better.

Feel free to make any comments you think would be helpful-I'm ALWAYS looking for good input!

Thanks in advance...and follow along!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Default RE: Custom subwoofer enclosure for the back of the H3...progress is made

So far so good to me, Be sure to post some pics when your done with it and maybe even a video

Old 01-16-2008, 01:51 AM
Default RE: Custom subwoofer enclosure for the back of the H3...progress is made

Looks COOL so far!! Great Job!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

Looks COOL so far!! Great Job!!!
X2! Cute dog, too!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM

wow! this is quite a project. I have the same dilemma with wanting better sound, but needing all of the cargo room. Good luck with the rest of it. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: dooks88

wow! this is quite a project. I have the same dilemma with wanting better sound, but needing all of the cargo room. Good luck with the rest of it. Cant wait to see the finished product.
That was my problem, that's why I went for a sub box under the back seat!!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:47 PM

[:@] The suckin' part of an H3 is that there is no room, anywhere...

Tonight I reinforced with more resin and cloth...hoping tomorrow to finish most of the remainder of the roughing-in of the enclosure and to get the seperates installed, and most of the wiring done for the amplifiers and cap. We'll see how THAT goes ! I took 4 days off to complete it, but my real goal was to have it up and running by Friday. The only thing that I think is a concern is whether or not I can have the finish on it that fast. Each time I work with the resin and mat I learn a little more...and take years off of my life by smelling that junk while working in my basement.

The real un-sung hero of this project is my wife who is putting up with the resin-stink all over our home. What a trooper that chick is!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

That is gonna be some big honkin sound! Wow.