PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Crooked 2006 H3

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Default RE: Crooked 2006 H3

HONESTLY..Take it to the dealer and have them tighen the left side torsion bar a little to level it up, then perform an alignment...Stupid factory workers set it up halfass I'm sure during assembly..Mine is plumb level.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:17 AM

Most IFS vehicles come from the factory unlevel like that. With GM trucks, it's about a 1/2 taller on the drivers side, in most cases. The thought is maybe they were allowing for the weight of a driver to compress the suspension. After I put the 4" suspension lift on mine, I adjsted the t-bar to even it out.

I also noticed around 1/2" - 3/4" difference on the H3 when I adjusted the t-bars on it. Since I was/am trying it as a "trial" I just left it that way for now. I figured I can come back and fine tune it to my likes... or turn it back to stock and know how many turns to go. Either way I'll probably adjust it to level.

I'm also happy to report that the bumpsteer is gone, or nearly all gone since adjusting the bars. Much better in my opinion.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:41 AM

i can't really see the difference from one side to the other, but my hubby does...it really annoys him that the two sides are not of identical height.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:02 AM

all it will take is about 2 minutes and a turn on the t-bar adj. bolt and you will be level. No need to jack up the truck, just crank the t-bar till it's level. I had to go one full turn more on the drivers side of mine to level it out.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM

I got my truck leveled. I got daring and started adjusting the torsion bars. The left and right front were out of balance, the right was too stiff and the left was too soft. The left front being soft was allowing the right rea to rise up. I visted my local Hummer dealer and took measurements on several 2007 H3's. The surprising part was this is a big issue, i checked over a dozen vehicle and no two H3 sat the same. They were all at different heights front and rear and all leaned to the left between 1/4" - 1". For my H3 I ended up stiffing the left front torsion bar by 2 3/4 turns, and softening the right front by 2 1/2 turns. The truck is now level left to right int he front and the rear and has a 2 1/4" rake in the front. It also rides much better and the feel in the steering wheel is more even when taking bumps. Before the adjust the right front took bumps much harder then the left.

In short I can't image a dealer taking the time to do this. The adjustments were very simple, but I spent the better part of a day making slight adjustments, driving the vehicle, rechecking my measurements and then adjusting it again. I'm off to get a wheel alignment Monday and put this behind me. Thanks for the advise.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: njhomer

I got my truck leveled. I got daring and started adjusting the torsion bars. The left and right front were out of balance, the right was too stiff and the left was too soft. The left front being soft was allowing the right rea to rise up. I visted my local Hummer dealer and took measurements on several 2007 H3's. The surprising part was this is a big issue, i checked over a dozen vehicle and no two H3 sat the same. They were all at different heights front and rear and all leaned to the left between 1/4" - 1". For my H3 I ended up stiffing the left front torsion bar by 2 3/4 turns, and softening the right front by 2 1/2 turns. The truck is now level left to right int he front and the rear and has a 2 1/4" rake in the front. It also rides much better and the feel in the steering wheel is more even when taking bumps. Before the adjust the right front took bumps much harder then the left.

In short I can't image a dealer taking the time to do this. The adjustments were very simple, but I spent the better part of a day making slight adjustments, driving the vehicle, rechecking my measurements and then adjusting it again. I'm off to get a wheel alignment Monday and put this behind me. Thanks for the advise.
How did you know that it was the torsion bars that were not adjusted properly when you said one was too soft and one was too hard? Are you sure you didn't over-compensate the adjustments to make up for something bigger i.e. the frame being bent or the shocks/springs being bad? I'm just curious how you were able to know that was definitely the problem. If the frame is bent and adjusting those torsion bars fixed it, you may have just made the problem worse, but I don't know a whole lot about that other then when I adjusted mine. I'm just thinking theoretically (which isn't very credible it seems )