PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple 2008 H3 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Default A couple 2008 H3 Questions

Looking to do some work on my grey 2008 H3. Been driving it for 3+ years, it’s been good to me, need to do a little work on it.

First, I’ve always thought that the stock headlights were dim. Seems that some on here have changed theirs out for better/brighter ones. Is there a particular brand or type that everyone’s replacing them with?

Second, I was looking at both the off road lights (the 2 headlamps – not the orange light strip) and the roof rack (the 2 lateral bars – used to be GM, they still are available). I’m not sure what I want to do, as of right now the roof has nothing on it. I would like the roof rack to tie a kayak to, I also like the look of the off road lights. I remember there being an issue with wind noise on the lights, if anyone knows or has them – has this been fixed? Also, any electrical problems with them?

Finally, are the black rims/wheels that came on the tactical editions simply black versions of the regular stock wheels? I’ve always liked the look of all black tires/rims – if so where can you get them? Still looking at some other mods to do. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by porgy1
Looking to do some work on my grey 2008 H3. Been driving it for 3+ years, it’s been good to me, need to do a little work on it.

First, I’ve always thought that the stock headlights were dim. Seems that some on here have changed theirs out for better/brighter ones. Is there a particular brand or type that everyone’s replacing them with?

Second, I was looking at both the off road lights (the 2 headlamps – not the orange light strip) and the roof rack (the 2 lateral bars – used to be GM, they still are available). I’m not sure what I want to do, as of right now the roof has nothing on it. I would like the roof rack to tie a kayak to, I also like the look of the off road lights. I remember there being an issue with wind noise on the lights, if anyone knows or has them – has this been fixed? Also, any electrical problems with them?

Finally, are the black rims/wheels that came on the tactical editions simply black versions of the regular stock wheels? I’ve always liked the look of all black tires/rims – if so where can you get them? Still looking at some other mods to do. Thanks in advance for any input.
Yes the tactical are just black stock wheels.

There are also better options for roof lights than the OEM option. For only getting two lights they cost way too much. Get a Realwheels light bar and wire up your own lights.

For the headlights there are projector lights available, but I replaced the OEM bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars. Plenty bright enough for me.

The roof racks are alright, but they're just two bars, you almost always need something else in order to attach anything to it. Personally I will be getting a Gobi stealth rack sometime in the future.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM

I changed mine out to the Silverstars as soon as I pulled off the lot.....much better and cheap, only $30 or $40 at your local Autozone.

Racks are pretty much useless if you have the tracks get a GOBI

Old 06-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 08JJ
I changed mine out to the Silverstars as soon as I pulled off the lot.....much better and cheap, only $30 or $40 at your local Autozone.

Racks are pretty much useless if you have the tracks get a GOBI
I would suck a big fat juicy one for a Gobi Stealth, ladder, and a hilift mount.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:57 PM

I installed a projector kit from The Retrofit Source. Kit includes projectors, bulbs, ballasts, and shrouds. Pics in my garage.

I hope that you are sitting down. The Tactical Edition wheels (9598028) are $267.50 per wheel plus $50 core charge, and $100.49 per cap (9598030).

Old 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

+3 for the Sylvania Silverstars.
I would of preferred the Silverstar Ultras in the H13 size if they were available but the reg. Silverstars are much better than stock and do quite well.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Thank you very much for the input. With respect to the Sylvania Silverstars – what size will work? H10 & H13 were mentioned, is there any issue with either of those? Want to go as bright as I can get without being in a position where they are burning up or causing melting, etc. Also – how difficult is it to do the change out yourself? Is it done by lifting the hood?

I agree that the Gobi baskets & accessories look awesome. But the only thing I would be carrying on the roof would be a kayak & I don’t see how that would work in a basket.

With respect to the wheels, ouch!!! Did not think they would be that much – might a better option be to just to see if someone can powder coat/paint the factory silver rims black? Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Just an FYI - the OEM Off Road Roof Lighting kit isn't being produced by GM anymore. They are getting very hard to find so if you want to go that option I would start looking now. As of Monday, only 10 dealers in the US had them in stock and none of the GM part stores have them in the warehouses - they need to order them from GM - which then goes on back order but in reality you will most likely never see them taken off back order.

- Jason

Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Everyone will have an opinion on the headlights, including me.
The Silverstars are the best for halogen replacement bulbs.

As far as HID headlights are concerned, you should do your own home work because there are options here as well.
I went with the STARR HID system and they have been trouble free for over four years
I even have the original bulbs. They're not inexpensive though.
Their link is generally at the top of this forums home page
Good luck

Old 06-22-2011, 04:25 PM

With respect to the Sylvania Silverstars – what size will work? H10 & H13 were mentioned, is there any issue with either of those? Want to go as bright as I can get without being in a position where they are burning up or causing melting, etc. Also – how difficult is it to do the change out yourself? Is it done by lifting the hood?

H10 is for the foglights and the H13 is your headlight bulbs. I just replaced mine with the Silverstars last week and they are alot brighter than the stock bulbs. Very happy with the purchse.

Quick Reply: A couple 2008 H3 Questions