PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Corvette ZR-1 top speed run video

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Default RE: Corvette ZR-1 top speed run video

The only problem is theyre selling for 100k over sticker right now, and I wouldnt buy a corvette for 200k, you can get ALOT more horsepower for money like that. Buy a few year old viper for 40-50k, or a few year old vette for 30k and twin turbo it for 1000hp, for half the money.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't heard the 100K premium story yet. Like every other car that ever drew a premium it will disappear.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: pteam

The only problem is theyre selling for 100k over sticker right now, and I wouldnt buy a corvette for 200k, you can get ALOT more horsepower for money like that. Buy a few year old viper for 40-50k, or a few year old vette for 30k and twin turbo it for 1000hp, for half the money.
I haven't heard about the mark ups, but I'll believe it. You could use that argument with so many old cars though... Bottom line is that factory engineered stuff is the way to do it for most people and they're going to pay the premium for it. Its going to be a lot more comfortable than any of those cars will, and most likely much more reliable. Plus it can still be modded too

As far as HP/$, the older cars are usually the better deals... logically. The only thing I can think of that would compare to this car is a ford GT with a pulley and a tune. It would go for the same money as one of these after the mark up, but I'd take the modded GT every day of the week. Regardless of my slight bias towards the blue oval. Its exotic, rather than just fast.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 AM

The diffrence is that a cheap used viper would be worth nothing 10 years from now. To corvette collectors, this thing is worth every penny.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: ockie

The diffrence is that a cheap used viper would be worth nothing 10 years from now. To corvette collectors, this thing is worth every penny.
Ockie

I would have to strongly disagree man. I dont know this for sure but I would imagine in the early 90's there were probubly more ZR1's sold and produced than Vipers. With that being said look at Old Mopar Hemis vs old Corvettes and Other GM muscle cars. The old Hemi's seem to bring WAY more money at auctions than the GM's. I would venture to say its due to the limited amount produced.

I am not really biased toward either of them. They are both bad *** cars that go way faster thanI need to. But If I someone was going to hand me the keys to an early 90's Viper or ZR1 I would take the Viper Keys all day long! lol. You dont see them very often and they smoked the ZR1 of the day.

Just my .02
Eric

Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 AM

I am a hardcore corvette and viper fan. When I saw the ZR1 at the NY auto show, I fell in love with it. I also saw the Viper at the show and have always loved that car. The problem I would have is, if I bought the ZR1 I would always know that I could have bought the Viper and man that would weigh on my head. It would be the same way around if I bought the Viper. The Viper and the corvette are still my favorite cars ever.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 AM

That's one of the few things that makes me glad living in Germany, the autobahn. My other car goes about 150mph. That's not even close to this vette but it's a lot of fun too.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 AM

The zr1 of the 90s, nobody wants those. Theyre dirt cheap. In 5 years this vette will be outdone by the next vette and it will be worth nothing, just like the 405hp and 420 hp z06s of only a few years ago are now, they're not collector items.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Pteam I think we might be about to see the zenith in horsepower. With emissions, fuel efficiency, green corporate boards I think we are about to see the auto mfgs. head in the other direction again. Hope not but I bet that is what happens.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM

On a related subject, just thinking out loud and dreaming of a new sports car... Is the 'vette the best sports car in the world, cost no object?

100,000 mile warranty, the new ones have all-hand-stitched-leather interiors as an option, the '07 base 'vette butt-hoses a 911 Turbo around a race track (see here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...p_2007_feature), the Z06 beats a ford GT, the racing porsches, probably Italian cars around the same track.

They ride pretty good (better than Porsches cars IMO), they're comfy (better than Porsches cars IMO), the '08's aren't annoyingly loud on the highway, I got 31mpg for a 15 mile test drive at 65-70 on the highway... if they cost $200k and came from Italy people would call them the prettiest cars on the road, they never rust, probably the biggest owners group around, aftermarket galore, the most hot-rodable engine ever,if you want to go that route... 5000 service statiosn in the country, so you never get stuck being butt-hosed by the 1 Porsche station within 300 miles of you, hwo knows they are the only 1 within 300 miles of you, and spends lots of time planning ways to maximize the butt-hosing they can give you as a result of this (i'm joking, sort of).

So whats the downside? Not rare enough, i guess?

I'm really thinking about pulling a little german needle out of my eye and getting an '08 Vette.

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR-1 top speed run video