PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant smell when turning on heater ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Default Coolant smell when turning on heater ?

ok, its finally getting cold here in Texas and I turned on my heater in my 2002 H1 and a pretty strong smell of coolant is blowing in threw the vents. It seems that when it just idling its not as bad but once the temp gets up then you cant even bare it and I have to turn it off, turn the **** to cool, and freeze my *** off. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Coolant smell when turning on heater ?

Sounds like your heater core has a hole in it.

You can try alumaseal (or something), which has a good chance of doing the job.

If it doesn't, then a heater core replacement is in short order.

Familiarize yourself with how to and have the parts/tools ready to bypass the heater via the engine compartment, just in case it lets go while you are driving around.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

First guess is the heater core is leaking. Any coolant in the passenger side floorboard? You should bypass the heatercore until you get it fixed because you are losing coolant if it is the heater core. Installed that is about a $1000.00 repair.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:13 PM

So how do you bypass the heater core ? Is that because if it starts leaking more I will smell that all the time ? I'm going to try the alumaseal right now and see that works........(keeping fingers crossed)

Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM

ok so I got the alumaseal and just poured it into the resouvior and that didnt work. Now I have coolant leaking on the ground. I called the local Hummer dealer and this is what they said it would cost. Anyone think this is right ?

Heater Core plus parts: $712.00
Labor: $880.00

Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 PM

sounds about right.... Kascar was selling the parts not too long ago, what year truck do you have? that helps when asking questions.....

to bi-pass the heatercore its simple, take the hoses that go TO the heater core and just put them together.... then your core will be bi-passed..... it shouldn't leak anymore inside....

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM

What's "plus" Parts?

Heater core from AMG should be 350-390 unless the dealer is marking up the price. Shipping is free via ups ground through AM General unless you want a rush.

I had my entire HVAC system redone for about 1500-1600$, new Heater core, new o-rings and gaskets, new condensor, new dryer, new firewall manifold plate, cleaning recharge, etc. Half parts half labor.

I believe the heater core itself should run about 1000-1200$ parts and labor. I mean worse case, what? A day? 8 hours of dealer labor plus heater core and misc o-rings and stuff.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
First guess is the heater core is leaking. Any coolant in the passenger side floorboard? You should bypass the heatercore until you get it fixed because you are losing coolant if it is the heater core. Installed that is about a $1000.00 repair.
What do you mean coolant in the passenger side floor board?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Frequently when the heater core starts leaking there will be a small accumulation in the passenger side front floor board. Check the area by the passenger side drain and check the inner kickboard in the passenger footwell for signs of fluid running down it. I agree with Kurt, a competent dealer should replace your heater core( parts, labor, tax, etc ) for somewhere around $1000.00.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
Frequently when the heater core starts leaking there will be a small accumulation in the passenger side front floor board. Check the area by the passenger side drain and check the inner kickboard in the passenger footwell for signs of fluid running down it. I agree with Kurt, a competent dealer should replace your heater core( parts, labor, tax, etc ) for somewhere around $1000.00.
is it possible there is a way for it to drain there? As soon as i hit 2500 rpm it would smell terrible and you could get out and walk over to the passenger side floorboard and it would be leaking out right around there. If I went above 2500 it was like a squirt gun. I could shut it off and it would still drip about a 1/2 gallon. I believe this is where the overflow line is for the surge tank. I figured it was a cracked block like most of the 6.5 had so my uncle ripped the engine out and sent the block/heads to get tested. They came back good. Wouldn't this have to be it? Thank you for the help.

Quick Reply: Coolant smell when turning on heater ?