PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continued problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM

New info today. I needed to drive back to Nashville and I felt secure about the truck even though I was still getting the code. The ECAS, coils, and plugs definitely made it run better. I had been on the road about 15 miles when I got the Reduced Power message across the screen! This time it shut the truck down completely. I checked and it was the p0068 code again. I was sitting in the middle of the road. Wanted to start the truck to move it out of traffic and it wouldn't even turn over. Cleared the code and it started right up. Got out of traffic and let it run for a little while with no further problems. I was just a few miles from a dealership where a friend works as service manager so I went down there. He said a lot of the same things that ya'll have suggested. Obviously, he said junk the AZ MAF sensor. He thinks that is the core of the problem. He also thinks that my stock air box might be leaking. I did a search for leaks but couldn't get up underneath. I am getting rid of that thing soon anyway so if that is the case, it will be gone.
He also suggested that I should just disconnect the MAF. I told him I didn't know you could do that. But I did and drove to Nashville with no further issues. He said I might get a little worse MPGs, but I didn't. But here is what I learned by doing that. The p0101 was replaced by a p0102. And remember my Traction Failed Service Stab Sys error that would come on randomly after driving for a bit. It now comes on the minute I start the truck. So it appears that this error is also someone connected to the MAF. I know, it doesn't make sense. But I can think of no other explanation for the error coming on with starting the truck now.
So, my MAF will be here in a day or two and hopefully this will all be behind me.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Installed the ACDelco MAF sensor today and reset everything. So far, no lights at all. Even the Stab Sys and TPM lights went away. Glad I went ahead and updated to all the new parts along the way. Just amazed that a bad MAF can cause so many apparently unrelated errors.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 PM

I spoke too soon. All the lights flashed on again and Reduced Power mode again yesterday. Working with James at Supermodulation. We're going to try replacing the PCM.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Default What to check before buying?

Hello all I will be purchasing an 07 H3 and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some tips on what I should into getting checked before I finalize the deal.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 PM

For anyone who may have been following my saga here of multiple codes, reduced power mode, and shutdowns. I finally threw. Enough money at the truck and someone found the problem. I replaced the MAF sensor, MAF pigtail, MAP sensor, all coil packs, all plugs, EGAS, and even the PCM, but with no results. Gas mileage was down from the original 18.5 down to about 11. The truck shook like crazy when idling, and stuttered when driving. I checked numerous times for vacuum leaks by spraying starting fluid around. Still nothing worked and the problem was getting worse. Finally, I left the truck with a shop for about a week. They were stumped too! They tried replacing the throttle body which also did no good! Finally they called me and told me that my truck was fixed! I had spent several weeks and near $1000 to try to fix the problem. They told me that they finally stumbled across the problem accidentally... The intake manifold bolts had worked loose! Not enough to surge when I hit it with starter fluid, but enough to make it run terrible and throw codes. So finally, a $26 gasket kit and some nicely torqued bolts fixed the problem. I'm not too upset about all the other money I spent. I'm at 138k now and I just chalk it up to preventative maintenance. I used all ACDelco parts so I am good to go another 138k! Thanks to James at Supermodulation for helping me with advice and great prices on parts!

So, if your truck is running rough, don't forget to check the intake manifold bolts!

Last edited by Songman; 02-16-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
They told me that they finally stumbled across the problem accidentally... The intake manifold bolts had worked loose!
So, if your truck is running rough, don't forget to check the intake manifold bolts!
You didn't read my posts? I posted this over 5 weeks ago:

Originally Posted by hummerz
check for a vacuum leak. GL

Originally Posted by hummerz
Since you already replaced the MAF, 1 thing both codes have in common: vacuum leak.. Did you check around the intake manifold gasket? If leak is found there, could be loose bolts, just tighten.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I did read your posts, and I appreciate all the input. But when it didn't surge when spraying starter fluid around there, I didn't feel the need to move any farther. That's be kinda like patching a tire even though there was no sign of an air leak or puncture. I honestly can't figure out why it didn't get a surge because I sprayed a lot of starter fluid everywhere trying to find a leak. I sprayed so much that I had my buddy standing by with a fire extinguisher.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Songman
Yeah, I did read your posts, and I appreciate all the input. But when it didn't surge when spraying starter fluid around there, I didn't feel the need to move any farther. That's be kinda like patching a tire even though there was no sign of an air leak or puncture. I honestly can't figure out why it didn't get a surge because I sprayed a lot of starter fluid everywhere trying to find a leak. I sprayed so much that I had my buddy standing by with a fire extinguisher.
Common problem on the i5 for loose manifold bolts, coulda checked torque on them. Checking for a vacuum leak, I recommend using carb clean..

Or you could use a cigar.

Last edited by hummerz; 02-16-2014 at 11:46 AM.