PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comments on Rock Rails / step up

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 AM
rsc

The stock STEPS are just that, steps. No protection. The optional RAILS/rocker gaurds/sill protection/etc. is good to go for protection offroad. They just suck as steps.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 AM

yep, what RSC said. It really depends on what your needs are. The ugly stock steps are just that..........steps. I have to have the steps for my fiancee because of her rheumatoid arthritis. Otherwise they would be gone. If she absolutely needs the steps you better keep them or you will have one pissed off lady. Most women without health problems I would say can get into an h3 with no problems without the steps. Yes it may be inconvenient for them, but hey. There is just no way mine could get in without the steps being stricken with this terrible disease. I think most people on here agree aesthetically the rails are much better looking also, and they will protect your hummer. On the other hand if you are not wheeling anywhere where you will need protection like that and she needs the steps then don't get them.

We take the h3 off road but nothing too serious where we need rock rails. THat's what my xj is for. With 8 inches of lift I have a step that I carry with me for her to get in and out when we go wheeling in it.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 AM

I do moderate wheeling with a few nasty *** spots I have to get through. I installed the GM OEM rock rails and am quite honestly impressed with them. Found them on line for $299 or $399 plus shipping....CRS disease.... I would feel very comfortable sliding my H3 over anything with them. Just a thought. If you are a serious off roader, there are the options mentioned above.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:40 PM

I'm new to off roading but want to get it right first time, thanks for the advice guys.

Ben

Old 09-20-2013, 03:11 PM

I don't think any of us "Got it right the first time" B. We learn from experience and from others with more experience than us. Biggest mistake I see noob off roaders make is thinking being offroad is a race. That's the way you end up effing up your ride. Drive (creep) through ruts and bumps and puddles. I learned that the hard way when I was 16 and I knew better. $3,000 bucks later...........another thing we just talked about the other day is know how deep your puddles are. If you get water in your diffs and other parts, you need to drain immediately and put new oil in. Seen a lot of very expensive repairs due to water intake from stupidity, people trying to show off going through puddles then 3 weeks later their rearend freezes up. Other than that, keep your tires under you and have safe fun.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:52 PM

I read that particular thread about puddles, I can imagine that's an expensive lesson to learn! I appreciate the advice offered by all, thanks.

Ben

Old 09-20-2013, 09:33 PM

Actually whilst i think about it, which ones do you guys use?

Do you guys have some pics of yours fitted to determine the best looking?

Which do you all recommend in terms of quality and performance?

What are value for money rails offering the best of both worlds?

Would be good to get some educated opinions.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Why dig up the old thread? How about just asking the question in a new thread and forget the 6 year old dust?
I love forums for this.

Revive old thread, someone will ask - Why you revive old thread for???

Start new thread, same person will ask - Why not use search button???

Seems to ba a no win situation

Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 AM

it is. ive searched first and so far not once found my answer. then I started fresh and often get zero help.
new guys with questions and little knowledge come here and may get no help because a few dozen old timers,for whatever reason,left for other forums.

so you find an old thred with perfectly good info,it was good 6 yrs ago and still is!
I asked 2 questions about doors and mirror cover replacement recently. got zero.
I searched for mirror cover info and found nothing,so ill try again today in a new thread since I have one black,and one chrome!
ill bump the thread at times to see if I ever get help.
I KNOW the info is here because I read it in the past and just cant find it inj search.
goo dye mite!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM

I agree with all that you are saying but... Rock rails?

Originally Posted by B.Martin
Actually whilst i think about it, which ones do you guys use?

Do you guys have some pics of yours fitted to determine the best looking?

Which do you all recommend in terms of quality and performance?

What are value for money rails offering the best of both worlds?

Would be good to get some educated opinions.

Quick Reply: Comments on Rock Rails / step up