PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is A Cold Air Intake Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Default Is A Cold Air Intake Worth It?

Having just installed a Magnaflow CatBack exhaust I am seek your opinions on whether to install a K&N-type CAI. I appreciate your opinions and thanks!

Richard

Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 AM

Intake, exhaust, tune made sense on my 07 I-5 H3 but not too much on the deuce. I don't plan on racing it or even giving it more gas off the line etc. I think the stock airbox is fine. If you do replace it go with a unit like Volant which still is closed and draws air from the fender. That's true COLD AIR!!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM

if you compare whit stock a/f after 3 cleaning it should be payd by it self. for fuel concern, less restriction mean more economy but how mutch ? good question

Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM

UPDATE: I installed an Airaid CAI (Craigslist NIB for $200!) and the H2 sounds and performs outstanding! I am going to sign up for a utube account so I can attempt to post a video. That makes $520 total for the intake AND exhaust upgrade! Not sure what power I gained but there is definitely a difference.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Man1nboat
UPDATE: I installed an Airaid CAI (Craigslist NIB for $200!) and the H2 sounds and performs outstanding! I am going to sign up for a utube account so I can attempt to post a video. That makes $520 total for the intake AND exhaust upgrade! Not sure what power I gained but there is definitely a difference.
Thanks for reporting. Did you record any difference with your MPG after installing the Airaid CAI?

Jeff

Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Man1nboat
Following your steps ..... Will get it soon ....

Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 AM

There was some research somewhere showing 2's don't have any performance gain from intakes only. Actually most engines lose HP from aftermarket intakes.

I solely went with the Volant box because it brings in air from the stock location instead of sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. ALSO I could not stand how difficult it was to get the lid off the stock airbox.

Volant box with pre-filter is the way to go!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
There was some research somewhere showing 2's don't have any performance gain from intakes only. Actually most engines lose HP from aftermarket intakes.
Excellent. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963

I solely went with the Volant box because it brings in air from the stock location instead of sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. ALSO I could not stand how difficult it was to get the lid off the stock airbox.

Volant box with pre-filter is the way to go!
I read the same thing. I guess that you still get the washable air filter though. Mine cost almost 100 bucks the last time I replaced it.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Exactly, people like to knock the washable oiled filters but K&N has built their empire on exactly that. I've used K&N's in every vehicle I've owned and never had an MAF or sensor issue. You just have to know how to oil the things.

The Volant uses the same type of filter but I don't care for their cleaner or oil for that matter. I'm just waiting to use it up then I'll switch to the K&N recharger cleaner/oil for it.

I also highly recommend the Volant pre-filter to catch the larger junk before it even hits the filter itself.

Quick Reply: Is A Cold Air Intake Worth It?