PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Default RE: Clunk!

Geeze, I guess I'll add that to my list of gripes when I take it in. I need to go soon, the brake shudder is driving me crazy! Looks like I'll have a loaner for a few days.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Have not had the issue on the 08 yet.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

See what I mean RJ?? 27 different issues all defined as a clunk, thud, bumb, grind....

Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve #1

I just got an update from the dealer. They have seen it before. Apparently there was a batch of body mount bolts that were to long and are the cause of the problem. I didn't get in to detail as I was driving when I got the call. The solution is to shave down the bolt. They took care of the majority of it but said they now hear it in the rear and will do the same with the rear body mount bolts. Should be ready tomorrow. I'll get more details when I pick it up.
I picked it up Tuesday and it's about as described above. Fixed the noticeable noise in the front, and the noise from the rear is worse. I know they spent a lot of time trying to track down the source of the noise and correct it. I'm going to drive it for a bit and see if it settles.

They did straighten my hood that was misaligned since day one (minor issuejust bugged me to see it).

Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Steve,
How is the clunk noise? Still noticeable in the back?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM

I think it may be worse then when I picked it up. I was hooping that maybe it just needed to settle in after the body mounts were messed with. I'm still not sure why they "ground down" the body mount bolts rather than replacing them. The noise is annoying, but my concern is that something is moving that shouldn't be which will just cause more issues.

I think I'm going to take it to the Dallas store and give them a shot at fixing it.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM

I have the same noise from the front end. I had the steering shaft replaced awhile ago which helped, they also found a loose cross member. There is still something up there that aint right. You definetly hear it while making turns, especially on rough surfaces. My suspension also creaks from all four corners, I think it may be the bushings?? I'm taking it in later next week.

That clunk from the front end is really annoying. It makes me wonder if I want to buy it when my lease is up in about 8 months...

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 PM

Still have the same clunk/thump/thud sound coming from the front end also. I took it in on Mon. morning and waited around a while to see what they could find. They already replaced the intermediate steering shaft and also a broken body mount. The tech took me around and showed me everything that he checked underneath and said that everything under my truck was 100% safe. He even had some kind of sound sensing device plugged into the cig lighter and it was run under the door and clamped onto areas underneath to try and locate it, but nothing registered, the tech said he was really getting ticked off that he could not find where it was coming from and wanted to keep it a few more days..I have to give props to Greenwood hummer in Youngstown they really seem to go out of their way to be accomodating I live an hour and 15 min away and they always give me another h3 to take then always drive back down and drop my truck off to me. when the service manager called me back this morning he said he was so sorry but after 3 days the tech was totally stumped and still couldnt figure where the noise was coming from, they brought my truck back and it's still doin it!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:27 AM

I know you guys have been talking mostly about H3 here, but I had a similar problem in my H2. I traced the problem to my front sway bar, somehow i assume while offroad, it had shifted to the right almost 1" and when I turned sharply to theleft it would cause someting in the stearing to clunk on the right side. When I readjusted the swaybar it fixed the problem.

Not sure if this helps you guys, but worked for me and was a very simple fix.