PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing to Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by smith
I love ride ..

Credit Repair Company
??...are you some foreign spammer with these posts? they make zero sense and you have a link to different ads on each. can somebody ban this fool?

Anyway, speaking of making no sense how did dinosaurs and plate tectonics get involved in this thread..who cares..the guy asked a simple question about synthetic oil. I just switched to Mobil 1 at 63k and couldn't be happier, probably gained close to 1 mpg and seems to have gained some power as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Back on topic - switching at 16k miles is not an issue. What can be an issue in older cars, ie - 75k+ miles, is not really the fault of synthetics exactly. What happens is the synthetics and the additives clean out more junk and sludge than regular oil which in some cases can expose leaks that were filled with crud. At the same time, synthetics also do a better job conditioning gaskets and such. This is why you hear stories about people switching to synthetic and their engines start leaking, and sometimes stop leaking after sticking with synthetic for a while.

Topic 2: Been hearing a lot lately about changing views of where oil comes from. A number of scientists believe oil is not organic based but the result of chemical reactions under intense heat and pressure deep in the earth. They also are saying it's a much quicker process than previously believed - ie it's in essence renewable. Not that you hear much of that in mainstream media, doesn't fit their agenda.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:21 PM

I changed my H3 to Mobil1 at 125K miles.

I ran syn Diesel blend to clean the engine for a few months then changed to M1.

No leaks; no drips.

If your engine leaks, it will leak with anything. Modern oils are blended to have a high cleaning effect. The sludge myth is old wives tale from the 70's.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Sludge, larger and non-uniform molecules in conventional oil, whatever. Point is, in some cases synthetic oil can leak where conventional oil does not and it's not because synthetic caused a new leak. In some of those cases, it stops leaking after sticking with synthetic for a while.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by smith
If engine is leaking that can be create more other problem for your engine. | Packaging Systems
This guy here is one smart cookie!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:55 AM

On the subject of oil change, I did just that switching from 5W30 full syn to
Street 5W30 synthetic blend...I immediately noticed a change in the engine sound and a bit of roughness under heavy load and use...Even though I used street in my other previous GMC cars [ Yukon ] and it was perfect...I guess the H3 requires full synthetic, as the small engine has to operate always under harder conditions...Lesson learned..I will switch back immediately to a full synthetic oil..

Old 07-18-2011, 03:39 AM
Banned
Default not making sense

immediately noticed a change in the engine sound and a bit of roughness under heavy load and use...Even though I used street in my other previous GMC cars [ Yukon ] and it was perfect...I guess the H3 requires full synthetic, as the small engine has to operate always under harder conditions..
im having a real hard time with this one, believing it can possibly happen.

i dont think the "small"i5 is really struggling under normal use. then there are guys dragging boats behind them and i dont think they run in low gear!

no,i dont think any modern oil would cause such a drastic effect,sorry

if it required full synth would it not work at all with reg oil??

aint buying it

Last edited by drtom; 07-18-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM

it is highly recomended to use synthetic oil, not mandated. doctors recomend that we eat healthy foods to keep our bodies going, some of us choose to eat junk food which still keeps our bodies going but we all know that fruits and vegtables would be best.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned
Default eat ure veggies

i use synth, thats not the point. the dafi one said this on 7-15,

5W30 full synthetic Motul [ french ] since I bought the H3..API approved...
I use the same stuff in my BMW E38 with a V8 ...I change both oils at 5K miles
then he said he changed to a blend and the i5 ran rough,,,bs,,,if mine ran rough with an oil change id shut down and call the flatbed. yes i use synth but a lot of guys will go 100k+ with cheap ahl,,,and they wont be running rough and noisy,,,lets cut bs

Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
i use synth, thats not the point. the dafi one said this on 7-15,

then he said he changed to a blend and the i5 ran rough,,,bs,,,if mine ran rough with an oil change id shut down and call the flatbed. yes i use synth but a lot of guys will go 100k+ with cheap ahl,,,and they wont be running rough and noisy,,,lets cut bs
Drtom, This no BS, the small I5 engine needs 1st grade oil to operate properly, specially where I am , heat, humidity and dust..This is why , after 2 weeks with a synthetic blend oil, I am switching back to full synthetic.. This is my opinion and my experience..It could be different with other people...please respect other people's opinion..

Quick Reply: Changing to Synthetic Oil