PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change grill cover from chrome to black ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Question Change grill cover from chrome to black ?!?!

Alright so Ive searched and searched and found numerous results on how to remove the chrome from my grill cover and paint it to a flat black, but nothing solid with a good review. So I would like to just ask for myself and see what other peoples opinions are directly. With that being said. How do I take the chrome off my bumper an paint it black ? And what should I use flat black paint ? Spray on bed liner ? What are your opinions ? I really appreciate any help or opinions !

Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM

I had my chrome hood grill line x'd....came out great and is super durable!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 PM

Awesome thanks for the response Caraddict !! That's weird that you say that because I just emailed a Line-x location in my area yesterday for a quote for my grill cover front and rear bumper. Im glad you have a positive outcome from it !

Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Monster3
Awesome thanks for the response Caraddict !! That's weird that you say that because I just emailed a Line-x location in my area yesterday for a quote for my grill cover front and rear bumper. Im glad you have a positive outcome from it !
I love line x....I line x'd my front grill, ladders, rear step, side steps, brush guard, light covers & gobi rack...one word of advice get the sealer if you don't like the flat black look cause in about 6 months the line x starts to look flat black....easy fix though...I just dusted some semi black paint over the line x and it looks great!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM

I used plasti-dip on most of my chrome trims and rims. I've plasti 2 mercedes side and trunk chrome trim, a tacoma chrome trim on the grill and the rims.

Its durable, but not like x-line. But a bottle cost between 4 to 12 bucks and can cover most small projects with one can. If it peels, you can always respray, if you don't like it altogether you can peel it off. Easy DIY.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:00 AM

Awesome ! Thank you again Caraddict, Im lookin forward to seeing how mine will turn out in the end, so far that's what im going to be going with

And Sakodik thank you for the feed back ! Ive heard of several people going the plasti dip route, and I actually just had a buddy do it to his rims as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM

Yep, first I had mine plasti-dipped with the color matched letters on the grill. Then I paid 200 to get the whole front end line-xed. Here is what they both looks like...I personally prefer the line-x but the plastidip was very durable.

Attached Thumbnails Change grill cover from chrome to black ?!?!-imag0379.jpg   Change grill cover from chrome to black ?!?!-imag0546.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM

That looks awesome. Thank you !