PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

cat back questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Default RE: cat back questions

I'm installing it this weekend, I've looked at cat backquicky, does anyone have trick to get therubber of the supports without ripping them appart????

Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 AM

Never mind, found my answer, lube the hell out of them then pull really hard

Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Spray silicone and a craftsman cotter key puller and large screw driver if you do not have a pry bar set. If you do have pry bars, the medium size one works fine. Not that hard to gey the old muffler out.

As to a header for the I5: RE: H3 Headers

IMO: you are spending a lot of cash and effort for a nominal gain at best. Have you ever looked at the I5 exhaust manifold??? I thought not.

Let's take a look. Cast, but runners that flow close to what separated tubes can do for you.
Name:  I5ExhaustManifold.gif
Views: 33
Size:  2.9 KBShowing the manifold CAT as well. #3 is the heat shield that some people have hadget tad loose and make a racket. I am very confident you would not be able to "feel" the difference, andthe dyno measure would be small. Might sould cool though.

Rich, you will like the MagnaFlows, I think they did a good job, welds and material are good, clamps are HD, makes for a easy bolt on.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM

i just used wd-40 to get the rubber mounts off

Old 03-28-2008, 05:57 PM

Thanks guys!! but the job is already donecouldn't wait, had to get baby on, I'll post a sound clip later.

Sorry jackk frost, I'm not trying to hijack your thread.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:29 PM

NO worriesit's a cat back thread black bear for that matter headers too I would still like ot hear from someone that has them as I am really considering getting them. Please post your sound clip black bear

Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 PM

jackk frost, No, I don't have a header for our H3 (yet). The Cat gutting article I found yielded 10 hp gain, so I would think the Header would yield the same +/- 2 hp.

Once I get back I am going to get the Bassani because I had exhaust from them before.
Plus if I need to change the muffler out to make it quieter/louder, it is a standard type.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: rhill20

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I've been told that there really isn't much of a need to replace the headers anymore for the gains that you will get. The factory is building them better than they used so that there isn't THAT much of a difference anymore.
That is not completely true, maybe on some of your High End Sports Cars etc.. but not on the masses. Though as the I5 is unique there are many variables that effect the design outcome.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:37 PM

gunny do you have the cat gutting article? I wouls love to read it

Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Gunny, what do you think of the Bassani exhaust you had? Have you seen the design for the H3? Good/bad for off roading?

Quick Reply: cat back questions