PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Can I believe this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Default Can I believe this?

As mentioned in my first mail, i have nearly constantly in the morning the Low Tire warning on. When it is warm outside, after a while it turns off. I ask the dealer if this is correct and they explained me the following:

The tire pressure has to be in cold 33, so that if the tire is getting warm it can go to 35 what is the pressure when the warning is turning off. If the pressure is 35 in cold status, in warm status it will be over 37 and this is bad for the tire.

IS THIS TRUE???

Old 05-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Default RE: Can I believe this?

This sounds fishy. Yes, your tires will be heat up as you drive on them, and, as they heat up, the tire pressure will increase. As long as you make sure you have put the proper pressure (as listed on the tire) you will be fine, and is not bad for the tires. The TPMS should not trigger if the tire pressure is OK, and the temperature is warm. Some H3 owners complained early on about their systems going off when it got near or below freezing, but I have never had this problem. Whenever you start your truck, it checks the TPMS, and if it triggers, the warning message will disappeear by itself after a few seconds, or if you push the trip reset button. It sounds to me like your TPMS may need to be calibrated, or your tire pressure is too low. Have it looked at.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: dschwarzw

As mentioned in my first mail, i have nearly constantly in the morning the Low Tire warning on. When it is warm outside, after a while it turns off. I ask the dealer if this is correct and they explained me the following:

The tire pressure has to be in cold 33, so that if the tire is getting warm it can go to 35 what is the pressure when the warning is turning off. If the pressure is 35 in cold status, in warm status it will be over 37 and this is bad for the tire.

IS THIS TRUE???
Total BullSh!t..

I run 40 cold..Tires will last and wear better, longer, and it will help a little on gas mileage..Pump them up to no less than 35 psi cold...And your idiot light will stop coming on.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 PM

i had the same problem w/ our 06 in the winter
i would put 35 in them and it would still come on
and then i put 35 in the spareand it never came back on
i have had people say the spare is not in the system
but when iput 35 in the spare the light stopped coming on
i cant say for sure either way but check the sparejust incase

Old 05-09-2007, 08:11 PM
ZOO

Read your door jam (drivers side)for proper tire inflation when cold. This is correct inflation withthe tires that came with your H3.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 PM

ZOO..that inflation guide on the dooris for the maximum comfort in ride, even though it says 35 for the road tires and 50 for the spare, that is the BARE minimum for the road tires as I mentioned above..If you follow that, you will be under inflated and be prone to the nagging warning light..Not to mention the excesssive premature wear and poorer gas mileage...as a rule of thumb from a tire service guy I know, that strickly does tires for high end cars for a living..he says and I have always heard too, inflate to3 psi over the door pressures (except the spare).

Old 05-09-2007, 10:09 PM

The listing on the door jam is also for the safety/handling of the vehicle...if the tire is over inflated it can causethe center of the tire to wear unevenly, and is also more prone to a blow-out caused by overheating, and the fact over inflated tires can bemore susceptible to puncture....More accidents are certainly caused by under-inflating, but that is also due to driver apathy. In general, I trust 'The General' when it comes to the tire pressure recommendations....

Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 PM

if the tire is over inflated it can causethe center of the tire to wear unevenly, and is also more prone to a blow-out caused by overheating, and the fact over inflated tires can bemore susceptible to puncture

I believe you have it backwards HG..It is a proven fact that UNDER inflated tires cause HEAT build upand excessive wear...A nail will puncture a soft tire much more easily than a firm tire, plus poor handling instability with the softer side walls and could lead to a blow out because of the extra heat build up due to the extra drag and friction caused by the soft tire..This is simple physics and I have proven this with an infared temp scope on an earier thread with a discussion like this before (do a search the pictures I provided prove the point)..don't you remember the Explorer and the Firestone tire blow out issues..It was determined by the NTSB that the major cause to those tires blowing out causing fatal rollovers was due to UNDER INFLATED TIRES as recommended by FORD, the tires overheated and broke down leading to complete tire failure..Granted, the 35 PSI recommendation is well within the safety limits for the HUMMER, but that brings us back to the issue at hand again..excessive tire wear, low or poor gas mileage..all this for a softer ride...I'm not saying run at 50 psi as that is the MAX for these tires either..I've been following this practice for many, manyyears and I have always ended up with EVEN tire wear across the face of the tread and have gotten well and above the tread wear rating in mileage on the tire...

Trust GM??? you gotta be kidding

Old 05-10-2007, 07:19 AM

Hello to all,

many thanks for this interesting discussion. Following the major opionion, this morning i left my home with 53 degrees and around 10 miles the warning was on. I stopped in a gas station, they checked and all tires hat 35, so we put 40 to all 5. I start again after 1 minute the warning turns off. I must say that the steerings feels now softer and the driving feeling is a little bit harder.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:40 AM

Tire pressure also depends on the type of tire you have. That is: is it a "P" rating ( passenger ) or "LT" ( light truck ). If you read the little book on tire that is given to you at the dealership on delivery, you will note that it says that if you have aLT rated tire on your truck and "if it is anticipated that sustained driving speeds in excess of 65 MPHmay be required"IT REALLY SAYS THIS! DUUUH, (does anyone not drive over 65MPH?)it also says "Cold inflation pressures must be increased 10psiabove the recommended pressure for the load being carried." This recommendedpressureis the pressure on the door jab! I went to several tire company web sites, and they said the same thing! I have the LT tires on my adventure package and aired them up to 45 psion a recent trip across country. The tires ran cool --- No heat build up,I have always done a simple test by putting my palm on the tire when I stop to rest or for gas, if they are inflated properly they will be warm, not hot, to touch. Mine were fine!But it looks like the front tiresmay have worn just a bit more on the outside edges, a sign of over inflation? Or ripping around corners?45 may have been a bit much, maybe 40 to 42? would be better.

As far as the low pressure indicator goes, my 07 was delivered with about 32 PSI in the tires. I didn't get any low tire warning until I dropped them to 18 PSI for a trip to the Pismo dunes. After I actually read the book I bumped them up to 42 PSI, then to 45 for my recent trip.

Anyhow, that what the tire books and websites say about tire inflation.

Quick Reply: Can I believe this?