PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Default Cam Sensor

Has anyone else had a problem with their cam sensor? I have a 2007 H3 and have had to go back to the dealer 3 times in the last two months for rough idle problems. They keep telling me it is the cam sensor screens. They have changed the sensor at least twice. Also the last time I was there themechanic told me I had too much freon ( i know it is not freon just don't know what to call it). So he discharged some. He said it seemed to idle worse when the air conditioner was running. I never noticed that but he knows better than I do. Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Default RE: Cam Sensor

Haven't heard of that issue, or seen it here on the forums. Sorry. Maybe someone else will be able to chime in.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Cam Sensor

I would say you need to go to another dealer, or demand a different tech do the work if you go back to the same one.

When you run diagnostics, the scan tool will show that code, to delve further, you can plug into the diagnostic port and actually
look at the voltage and cam sensor waves on a screen (laptopand/or diagnostic computer cart...etc.). The problem is, you have to know
what you are looking for, and really pay attention to the votage wave reading to back up the code kicked to a scan tool.

The short version of the long overkill diagnostic tech, crap is: if your mechanic was tought on a scan tool (as many of the youngsters are now [&o])
and did not realy scrutinize the cam sensor readings on the screen/or did know what to look for, they will misdiagnos the problem by being
overly reliant on the scan tool code(s). If they have already replaced the cam sensor, and get the same message, they are being lazy and
not doing any real mechanic work. The H3 has VVT technology, so cam sensing is critical. They need to check out mechanical timing sets
before replacing another sensor or fiddling with your AC charge.

If anything in the mechanical timing adjustment is off, you will get a cam sensor code even though the sensor is NOT the problem.

Hope this helps, tell the dealer you expect more than a code or screen print, you want the motor checked by a mechanic, not a code reader.