PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying H2, 08+ or earlier model?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Smile Buying H2, 08+ or earlier model?

Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a H2, preferably an '08+ if I can find one, although there aren't many selling here in Oz at the moment (1), so I may need to consider an earlier model. (main reason being I have read there were a lot of improvements with the 2008 model, particularly in the engine and driveline - please let me know if that isn't the case)

I know the 08-09 came with an improved engine and 6 speed auto as opposed to a 4 speed. There is only one single '09 model selling down here at the moment though, and there are a few 03-06's.

Are those changes alone worth the trouble of continuing to try and find a newer model, or am I concerned over nothing, and something like a 2006 would be perfectly fine? I take it the 4 speed is perfectly ok, since the majority of models were made with that before the 6 speed was released.

I have always loved the look, and my wife now needs a vehicle capable of towing, so use will primarily be short trips for groceries and similar, with the occasional longer trip towing a 2 horse float or driving somewhere for a shooting comp.

A couple of concerns I have are:

- Servicing ... anyone (aussie forum members I hope may know) know where I am able to get servicing done in South Australia, near Mount Gambier, or down that way? Also, are they much trouble to service, ie. will I need someone that specifically knows them, or will any generic service centre be able to do it.

- Parts ... I had a quick search on this forum (and other websites) and it seems like there are still a lot of parts in the US, but I have no idea if parts are still available down here.

- Reliability ... Following on from parts, how good are they on this aspect? Are there particular faults with the different year models that I need to know of, and I am assuming they are costly to repair if there is a problem?

If there is anything else I should be considering that I haven't listed, feel free to let me know.

Thanks all,
Shawn.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM

Also, aside from obvious problems like oil leaks or accident damage, are there any H2 specific things I should look for when inspecting one at a dealer?

I am looking at an '06 with approx. 80000kms (50kmiles) as top of my list for now.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM

Greetings, Good luck with your search We love ours but there are some annoying things to look for...... There are a lot of cheap plastic parts that are used to put the interior in,. Just check for a general condition of the trim and doors dash etc. Ours leaks from the roof lights and is a major bummer to experience after spending a lot of money on one. Just be ready to track down some annoying leaks coming inside the cab. As far as the engine and tranny difference? I couldn't tell you, but newer is always better. I would think the six speed would move this beast better than a four but I'm not racing around in it anyway

Old 01-08-2014, 06:45 AM

Here r a few things to look 4... Look for broken/missing bolts on exhaust manifolds, hub bearing play, air suspension issues on adventure series, make sure heat/ac blend doors are functioning properly,rust on under carriage...I always bring a scanner when looking for a veichle to check if the monitors are all set...this way you know no one cleared a check engine light....weak point on all is tint tie rods...

08-09 have a 6.2 engine opposed to a 6.0 and yes a better transmission...they also have a redesigned interior...I like the old interior better as I love (0) (0) on the dash!

Last edited by Caraddict; 01-08-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM

I too like the looks of the 03-07 interior better but I think the 08 and up interior is a better quality. I have no problems with my '06 and love it every time I climb in. I would look for one that has not been modified or been off road very much. Service should be no problem. they are just like other GM vehicles as far as service goes.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know that it shouldn't be a deal breaker if I cant get my hands on a newer model.

Thanks also for the tips on problems, always good to have an idea of where the potential problems are sitting in advance.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM

The newer model will tow a bit easier. bit more horsepower and torque to go along with that six speed.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM

08+ have more power, more gears, and a redesigned interior which I like a little more. Not sure about there, but around here they also cost a lot more - cheapest sub 100k '06 within 500 miles is $23k, change the search to '08+ and the cheapest is $33k. Nearly 45% increase and more older ones to choose from.

I'd rather have the '08+ just for the bigger engine and new interior design, but it just isn't worth that much extra cost to me. Coming from an I5 H3T on 35s, I have zero complaints about power and I like the '06 interior almost as much as the '08 - it's more "manly" if less refined.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:52 PM

I'm not from Australia but I wouldn't think parts and service would be any kind of problem for you. Most Hummers seem to be real reliable as well. As far a 08 and up like everyone said it will have more power, torque, and probably a little bit better gas mileage due to the 6 speed. I'm with skeptic though in the sense that the added price for an 08 and up isn't worth it to me. Let us know what you decide though and good luck in your search.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM

I wish we had prices between $20-$30k haha, down here they go from roughly AUD$60k for early models to the only '09 model that is selling at AUD$100k (our dollar is close to the US at the moment, just a little lower)

The problem is getting them changed to a right hand drive runs $40k, hence the prices we are stuck with.

I will keep looking for an '08 up until the point I am ready to get one, but for now I will try and arrange an inspection of a nice looking '06 in black with a 5 year dealer warranty.

It has 80000kms (approx. 50k miles) on it for a decent price. I have sent the dealer an online enquiry about the abovementioned problems and some others I found around the internet, and if all sounds good I will go and have a look. (Oz is too bloody big sometimes, I need to take a flight interstate to check it out, annoyingly far to drive heh)

Quick Reply: Buying H2, 08+ or earlier model?