PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

to buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Default RE: to buy or not to buy

NJTEX has it right so far, buy what the wife wants....indeed njtex indeed.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: bohemianjsr

NJTEX has it right so far, buy what the wife wants....indeed njtex indeed.
I'm not a genious, it took a long time but my wife has trained me quite well over the years.On the other hand, after working for an import brand corporate office for 20 years, I now make a nicelivingsupplingthe parts and service departmentsfor 6 of the top import brands.

Regarding the import vs. domestic issue,the old saying is really true: "They all cook with the same gas".

Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 PM

I SAY BUY THE H3, YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 AM

Two days into my H3 ownership (2007) and so far so good.

My friend drives an Land Rover LR3 and I want a Land Cruiser or Mercedes G55 Kompressor - but alas I can't afford them.

At the end of it, for me, the $25k BaseHummer is tough to beat in terms of looks &character.

Not to mention that it's actually a very nice ride: easy to drive, light clutch, light steering, VERY maneuverable, very quiet ride, those potholes feel like nothing. I LOVE it and I was never a GM fan.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 AM

I have to say go with what the wife wants too. WHY should the man always get togovern what we drive??? I wanted mine, got it and love it...let her get it and then if it has probs you can then ding her with the old "I told you so!" LOL...Besides most any H3 you buy is still going to have a warranty anyway - if not, then look forone with less mileage. Hubby was the same way...did not want me to get the H3 for various reasons - the biggest being that it was a 1st production year..I won out of course! I will say if she is thinking of hauling 5 people and 2 dogs (unless they are small) it will be a tight fit as Dan said. While it is "roomy" it is a bit narrower and I find the cargo space lacks a bit. If thats what she wants then buy her an H2! LOL..as for your jeep...80K miles is quite a lot actually (IMO)and problems start happening as vehicles get older and more mileage. Iwas a 3 time jeep (Grand Cherokee)owner with never any probs other than1 power window motor replacement at 65K miles and the carwash broke a mirror that the guys forgot to bend in (and then of course said ohhhh noooo we didn't do that! LOL!) I stuck a screw in it to keep it in place and sold her. And remember...if Mama aint happy..aint no one happy!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

I have to say go with what the wife wants too. WHY should the man always get togovern what we drive??? I wanted mine, got it and love it...let her get it and then if it has probs you can then ding her with the old "I told you so!" LOL...Besides most any H3 you buy is still going to have a warranty anyway - if not, then look forone with less mileage. Hubby was the same way...did not want me to get the H3 for various reasons - the biggest being that it was a 1st production year..I won out of course! I will say if she is thinking of hauling 5 people and 2 dogs (unless they are small) it will be a tight fit as Dan said. While it is "roomy" it is a bit narrower and I find the cargo space lacks a bit. If thats what she wants then buy her an H2! LOL..as for your jeep...80K miles is quite a lot actually (IMO)and problems start happening as vehicles get older and more mileage. Iwas a 3 time jeep (Grand Cherokee)owner with never any probs other than1 power window motor replacement at 65K miles and the carwash broke a mirror that the guys forgot to bend in (and then of course said ohhhh noooo we didn't do that! LOL!) I stuck a screw in it to keep it in place and sold her. And remember...if Mama aint happy..aint no one happy!
This way, you could then get yourself a Porsche 911 or a Corvette

Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM

Hi all, first post. Like bohemianjsr, I'm considering a H3 as well. I have a Dodge Cummins truck that is overkill for my job. Also, I'm finding out about DC quality and the high expense of running a diesel. Basically, I haul oilfield test equipment consisting of 1-4 Pelican cases and some long poles to perform downhole surveys. My co pays me $790 for a 4x4 vehicle and all fuel. The H3 is a appealing because it will go everywhere I need to get to, haul my gear inside with the seats down and a tarp. Can anyone tell me how long the back area is with the rear seats down and front seats slid forward?
Occasionally, I have to sleep in the vehicle and I can set all my gear outside (I'm 6'2"). How is the reliability, power and can I idle it for long periods. I'm well aware of it's offroad ability having just read an article ina car magazine where a basically stock H3 was run in the Baja1000 and finished.

Sorry if this is a hijack, but bohemianjsr pretty much asked all the same questions I would have..thanks,

Old 05-11-2007, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: telcobilly
Basically, I haul oilfield test equipment consisting of 1-4 Pelican cases and some long poles to perform downhole surveys. My co pays me $790 for a 4x4 vehicle and all fuel. The H3 is a appealing because it will go everywhere I need to get to, haul my gear inside with the seats down and a tarp. Can anyone tell me how long the back area is with the rear seats down and front seats slid forward?
Long enough to sleep in if you have to... It's about 6ft.. Maybe a shade over, but the back seats don't fold flat.. They are about 6 inches higher folded than the rear area.. Your Pelicansmay evenfit in the back with the seats UP no problem.. For those long poles.. Get a couple of sections of PVC pipe the right lengthsand mount 'em to the roof rails.. Slide the "work" poles into 'em and screw the caps on...

Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Thanks crash! Just the kind of info I need. I have all the gear in my garage right now and it makes a surprising small cube. The poles are different lengths, I believe the shorter ones could go inside and the 2-3 longer ones could be roof-racked. I thought about that PVC tube idea as well. I guess I need to go test drive one today and tape measure it out. If I keep it stock, what kind of hwy mileage can I expect and range on a full tank? Is it ok to idle it for longer periods of time? thanks,

Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: bohemianjsr

Import Killer, you are funny. As far as used cars go yes they are a gamble. try bying a brand new jeep paying for $$ss in maintenance and having the engine blow up 80,000 miles into it. try also the rest of the bay components crapping out a few miles later. Wake up import killer, don't think the Hummers aren't bling? You obviously haven't spent time in LA.....Which by the way, the hip hop culture is ruinning the hardcore image of your rigs when they slap 24" inch rims on them...Hence "them rims are blinging" terms and such.

I'll pass on the land rover. for the same realibity reasons as other brands. Reliabilty stats do exist. they are out there.....

"Buy your littly yuppy landrover and be happy....leave the real trucks to guys/gals that know what to do with them." that is funy. I am sure the rest of the forum does not support that ignorant statement.

yawn...you bore me. I don't care what your LA rap stars are doing...couldn't care one bit....fact of the matter is that the H3 in stock form is not a Bling truck....sorry but a bling truck does not come with the off-road dominance that the h3 does. Maybe some people make them into a bling vehicle but the same can be said for EVERY damn car/truck on the road....guess you never saw a pathfinder with dubs? Before you go thinking you know what the rest of the forum does or doesn't support, maybe you should get more than 6 posts You come onto a hummer forum and call our trucks "blingy"...then go on to knock American built vehicles quality....IMO your nothing more than a troll....Like I mentioned earlier...enjoy your foriegn POS and leave the American built trucks to those of us that realize breakdowns do happen.

Quick Reply: to buy or not to buy