PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Broken Leaf Spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Default Broken Leaf Spring

Well I,m crusin yesterday and I hear this clunk from the right rear. Pulled over thinkin maybe its a broke weld on my new exhaust or something. Couldnt find a thing. So today Im driving and hit alittle bump and hear the clunk followed by clang-clang of metal hitting the road. Went back and found part of my right rear leaf spring.. This thing has been broke for quite awhile because of the rust on the break is advanced. I really think it was broke when I got it in Aug. Called my dealer and got it up to them and they are over-nighting a new leaf and Ill have it back tommorrow. Man Ill tell ya the service at D&D Hummer here in eastern Iowa is top notch. Had a couple questions for anyone who might want to respond. First, Could a 2-1/2 turn torsion bar adjustment cause the rear leaf to stress and break ? I cant see how but its the first thing I thought of when I saw the broken leaf. Second,, Do you think 35's could stress it to break? Again I cant see how . Thought I would post this because I havent seen any posts with leaf spring problems. Im showing this pic to show where it broke. Its not the right leaf but it give a general idea where it broke. It was on the front side of the right rear. You can run your finger in the bracket and check to see if you feel a crack in the leaf . My other one is fine. I think its just a fluke thing and I got a leaf that wasnt heat treated right or something. Oh well feel free to repost if you have any info or input. Oh one other thing,, I miss my H3 BAD... They gave me a trailblazer for a loaner. Major bummer , but only till tommorrow then Ill have my 3 back

[IMG]local://upfiles/267/FC6B654D4F424EB7B064AC59C192322E.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Default RE: Broken Leaf Spring

I just went out and checked mine..All good..But I can tell you with all certainty that the Front Torsion adjustment will not cause any stress on the rear leafs..Also bigger tires wouldn't do it either..I believe you just had a factory defect from the get go...Although My dealer did warn me if I tweaked the torsion bars like you did, they could not honor any warranty on the front suspension...Something to think about.
ORIGINAL: StarsnBars

Well I,m crusin yesterday and I hear this clunk from the right rear. Pulled over thinkin maybe its a broke weld on my new exhaust or something. Couldnt find a thing. So today Im driving and hit alittle bump and hear the clunk followed by clang-clang of metal hitting the road. Went back and found part of my right rear leaf spring.. This thing has been broke for quite awhile because of the rust on the break is advanced. I really think it was broke when I got it in Aug. Called my dealer and got it up to them and they are over-nighting a new leaf and Ill have it back tommorrow. Man Ill tell ya the service at D&D Hummer here in eastern Iowa is top notch. Had a couple questions for anyone who might want to respond. First, Could a 2-1/2 turn torsion bar adjustment cause the rear leaf to stress and break ? I cant see how but its the first thing I thought of when I saw the broken leaf. Second,, Do you think 35's could stress it to break? Again I cant see how . Thought I would post this because I havent seen any posts with leaf spring problems. Im showing this pic to show where it broke. Its not the right leaf but it give a general idea where it broke. It was on the front side of the right rear. You can run your finger in the bracket and check to see if you feel a crack in the leaf . My other one is fine. I think its just a fluke thing and I got a leaf that wasnt heat treated right or something. Oh well feel free to repost if you have any info or input. Oh one other thing,, I miss my H3 BAD... They gave me a trailblazer for a loaner. Major bummer , but only till tommorrow then Ill have my 3 back

Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 PM

that's crap about not honoring the warranty if you turn the torsion adjustment. my dealer told me just the opposite. they would have to prove that the torsion bar adjustment caused the failure, and that's highly unlikely. if you're stock, they have to honor it.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:15 PM

Just got a call from my dealer. My H3 is ready !! no problems. All covered.... SWEET. Gotta go pick up my baby !!!

Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

that's crap about not honoring the warranty if you turn the torsion adjustment. my dealer told me just the opposite. they would have to prove that the torsion bar adjustment caused the failure, and that's highly unlikely. if you're stock, they have to honor it.
Well it maybe bolvine feces and I agree..but knowing the dealers, they can make a case if they want to...Just like a case I know of that the dude hade a MAF problem and since he had a K&N they blamed it on that and wouldn't warranty it..Not my dealer, but somewhere out East.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:54 PM

i had the same MAF issue with my 4runner, and those things are expensive. but i also learned that K&N filters are a waste of money over stock.

i think a good relationship with the dealer is one of the best things you can do, since the service writer is the one that will go to battle for you with the warranty company. my dealer knows i adjusted the torsion bars, but there's no reason to ever tell them. they get paid no matter what happens, whether it's you or the warranty company giving them the money. keeping them on your good side is a benefit. and if they have cute little 20-something female service writers that know nothing about the vehicle, a bit of flattery first thing in the morning goes a long way . . . .[sm=devilangel.gif]

Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM

i had the same MAF issue with my 4runner, and those things are expensive. but i also learned that K&N filters are a waste of money over stock.

i think a good relationship with the dealer is one of the best things you can do, since the service writer is the one that will go to battle for you with the warranty company. my dealer knows i adjusted the torsion bars, but there's no reason to ever tell them. they get paid no matter what happens, whether it's you or the warranty company giving them the money. keeping them on your good side is a benefit. and if they have cute little 20-something female service writers that know nothing about the vehicle, a bit of flattery first thing in the morning goes a long way . . . .[sm=devilangel.gif]
Oh very true about the sucking up a little...My service writer is the same guy I had for all the years I had the Land Rover and he knows I like to tinker with stuff and Modify stuff..He is really pretty understanding and forgiving..We've actully have become pretty good friends, Been down to Texas a few times with him and his squeeze to few NASCAR events...He mearly warned me that if I tweeked the torsion bars and if GM questions anything about a problem, they may buck..But assured me he would cover for me..I just mentioned the caution, as some dealerships service are ******.[sm=boosign.gif]

Oh..Suck on this...[sm=guilty.gif][sm=teetertooter.gif]

Old 03-15-2006, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

yeah yeah yeah, the cleanest engine i've ever seen, blah blah blah. show off ![sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

oh yeah, and some funny lookin' air cleaner too . . . .

Old 03-16-2006, 10:01 AM

Oh very true about the sucking up a little...My service writer is the same guy I had for all the years I had the Land Rover and he knows I like to tinker with stuff and Modify stuff..He is really pretty understanding and forgiving..We've actully have become pretty good friends, Been down to Texas a few times with him and his squeeze to few NASCAR events...He mearly warned me that if I tweeked the torsion bars and if GM questions anything about a problem, they may buck..But assured me he would cover for me..I just mentioned the caution, as some dealerships service are ******.[sm=boosign.gif]

DENNIS YOU NEED TO DO MORE WITH YOUR TIME DO YOU EVEN DRIVE YOUR TRUCK SPEND MORE TIME WITH YOUR WIFE FORGET ABOUT THE TRUCK I CAN EAT OFF THAT ENGINE SPEND IT WITH HER

Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 AM

I just went out and checked mine..All good..But I can tell you with all certainty that the Front Torsion adjustment will not cause any stress on the rear leafs..Also bigger tires wouldn't do it either..I believe you just had a factory defect from the get go...Although My dealer did warn me if I tweaked the torsion bars like you did, they could not honor any warranty on the front suspension...Something to think about.
ORIGINAL: StarsnBars

I'AM surprise the fixed it under warranty because of the turning of the keys and the big tire .

Quick Reply: Broken Leaf Spring