PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Brian Boyle Completes Amazing Journey to Reach the Ford Ironman World Championships

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Default Brian Boyle Completes Amazing Journey to Reach the Ford Ironman World Championships

Only three years removed from a life-threatening car accident, Brian Boyle overcame near death to fulfill his dream of competing in an Ironman triathlon.

Welcome, MD – September 5, 2007 – Brian Boyle, an undergraduate student at St. Mary’s College in Maryland, will compete at the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. The event, scheduled for October 13, 2007, is a grueling test of endurance and athleticism. Boyle received a special media invitation from Ironman after he qualified at the Steelhead (Mich.) 70.3 Triathlon on August 4, 2007.

"When I first heard Brian's story, it was almost hard to believe," said Ironman’s Vice President of Television Production, Peter Henning. "Once I began looking at photos from the accident, I wondered if it would be possible for Brian to walk let alone compete in an Ironman. However, after seeing him compete at the 70.3 Steelhead race Brian truly demonstrated that anything is possible. We look forward to seeing him cross the finish line at this year’s Ford Ironman World Championship in Hawaii."

The Ford Ironman World Championship, the pinnacle of the sport, encompasses three segments: a 2.4 mile ocean swim in Kailua Bay, followed by a 112 mile bicycle ride across the Hawaiian lava desert to Hawi and back, and ending with a 26.2 mile marathon along the coast of the Big Island.
Brian’s journey to get to Kona is truly amazing. His story is one of hope and inspiration – a tale of perseverance and the eternal human spirit.
On July 6, 2004, one month after graduating from Maurice J. McDonough High School in Maryland, Brian was involved in a devastating car accident – one that would alter his life forever. His 1994 Chevy Camaro was hit by a dump truck on the driver's side door. The impact of the crash demolished the Camaro and it took the jaws of life to pry Brian away from the surreal wreckage. Transported to Prince George’s Hospital Center in Cheverly, Maryland, Brian was in grave condition. His heart was knocked across his chest and he lost 60 percent of his blood. He suffered a broken clavicle, ribs and pelvis, and severe nerve damage to his left shoulder. Doctors were also worried about the possibility of brain damage.
His broken body nearly gave out, and Brian actually died eight times before doctors resuscitated him. Due to the extreme trauma he suffered, doctors chose to put Brian in a chemically induced coma. On life support for two months, he lost 100 pounds, while his parents stood over his bed and wept at his uncertain, perilous situation.

When he regained consciousness, doctors delivered the sobering news that Brian might never walk again. Over the next few months, Brian had to endure paralysis, pneumonia, infections, seizures, CAT scans, MRIs and excruciating pain. With his will nearly broken, his parents feared the worst. But on one memorable night, Brian struggled to move the muscles in his lips and cheek and gave his parents a warm smile. It was then they knew Brian was going to fight – that he was here to stay.

During his recovery and rehabilitation, Brian was assisted with nutritional supplements from 4Ever Fit, a Canadian-based company that manufactures and markets a full line of sports supplements. Because Brian undertook a grueling weight training regime during his rehabilitation, his body needed additional nutrients to rebuild his atrophied muscles.

"Brian is an exceptional young man," said Kevin Mcisaac, president of 4Ever Fit. "From the day he contacted us and told us his story, it was obvious that Brian had the drive and zest for life that so many high-caliber athletes have. We sponsor a lot of athletes and fitness competitors, but hearing about Brian’s near death experience and his struggles with recovery, really makes him a role model. Whether you’re a professional athlete, or someone trying to get their body as fit and healthy as possib

Old 09-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Default RE: Brian Boyle Completes Amazing Journey to Reach the Ford Ironman World Championships

no offence but we all have problems....I just don't get it. yea for him..now should I make a post about how I lost my spleen, gallbladder,pancreas,half my small intestine, part of my liver and one kidney?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Default RE: Brian Boyle Completes Amazing Journey to Reach the Ford Ironman World Championships

before everyone jumps on me, I would like to apologize for my previous reply...had a bad day and my post was inappropriate. my bad.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:35 AM

That's OK impy!!! We still LOVE YA!!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HummBob

That's OK impy!!! We still LOVE YA!!!!
Speak for yourself....

Old 09-22-2007, 02:50 PM

dik