PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

from my deathbed to the Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Default from my deathbed to the Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship

After dying 8 times and spending two months in a coma, 36 blood transfusions, 13 plasma treatments, I lost a total of 100 pounds and had to go to a rehabilitation center in Baltimore, I had to learn how to talk, eat, walk, shower, and live independently again. This was less than 3 years ago and after that agonizing experience, I had to go to outpatient therapy in Waldorf, MD. After spending a few months in a wheelchair, I took baby steps to walk on my own. It was a miracle that I could walk again, but I wanted to prove the doctors wrong and not only walk, but run. After I accomplished that, I wanted to get back in the pool again. After a few lung tests, I was able to go in the pool a little bit each week. After a few months of swimming a few laps here and there with my training partner and good buddy, Sam Fleming, and motivational letters from Gary Hall Jr. I decided that I was not going to let my injuries stop me from living my dream, and six months after that I began my freshman year at St. Mary's College of Maryland and also was one of the swimmers to watch on the team. With the 50 year life expectancy I was given from the doctors, I am just trying to live each day to the fullest and motivate and hopefully inspire other people.

I just got back from the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawaii. The moment of truth...I FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took 14:42 and I came to the finish line full steam ahead with every last bit of strength and emotion that I had. It was the greatest day of my life and I tried to savor every second that I could but as I look back at those fourteen hours, the memory lasts only minutes.

I felt great on the swim, I came in the transition with the elite age groupers, had a pretty good transition time, and then powerhoused that bike as best as I could; those headwinds were giving me a hard time all the way through but I just kept it steady and stayed positive and came back down to the next transition in 7:30 hours. The run started out great with about a 10 minute mile pace and I stayed strong; with it being my first marathon and first ironman I really didnt know how to pace myself but I just kept it going as best as I could. I had three different NBC news crews following me during the day, one group in a red mustang, a silver mustang, and a moped, and there were helicopters following me on the bike in certain areas - the feeling was intense! I surprised everyone when I came in around 14 hours because my lifesport coaches were predicting around 16, and for the last few miles of the marathon, I had a news crew on my right, both of my coaches running with me, my Cannondale bike sponsors following me in their SUV and we were all just pumping to the finish line, and the feeling coming down to the finish line just cant be explained, the crowd went absolutely crazy and Im going to attach the finish line video below so you can see it (scroll down to the link where it says "watch me finish").

http://ironman.com//events/ironman/w...p/&bib=163

The funny thing is, I could have went so much faster but I held back because I knew it was going to be a long day, and in the swim I ended up pulling my right hamstring but I just tried to focus on the positive and use mind over matter to push through, and I ended up really hurting it on the bike and run, and when I got to the finish line and was able to sit down in the rest area, I sat down and couldnt get back up. So long story short, I went to war with the human spirit... and won again lol I can't even describe the feeling, but I want to thank everyone who believed in me because we crossed that line together, my next goal is to turn pro in the next 5-10 years because I don't want the story to end here and next year I would really like to do the ironman race with my dad becau

Old 10-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Default RE: from my deathbed to the Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship

wonderful...another one

Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

HummerGuy's bud, glad to hear you got good health back!! KUDOS. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 10-18-2007, 01:09 PM

more likely just someone Mike donated money too.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think I accidently ran over Impy compassion on Hwy 22 this morning.... sorry...

Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 PM

nope, sorry not going to get compassion from me...I for one cannot stand people that use the bum hand god dealt them to make $$....sorry but we all have our problems...my lifes problems were as bad as this guys, seven months in the hospital...ate through an IV for 9 months, lost 4 organs..two vital ones. Went in to hospital over 240 lbs benching 430...came out at 106 lbs in a wheelchair...I never once made myself look like a sympathy case to get cash.....regroup...recover..move on...making yourself a spectacle to get donations is an embarressment. Big whoop, he was given a 50 year life expectancy....wow!! On June 4th 1998 I was given 72 hours.......on December 7th 2003 I was given 24 hours....who cares?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't donate anything to anybody other then some encouragement. I haven't talked to him for a few weeks, so NO, I did not tell him to post this either. He is going out there trying to help people and encourage people to not give up and keep fighting. I can tell you 150% he is not out for the money. He wants to be an inspiration for people. I don't know why that's so G-damn hard for people to believe?

You are right. Everybody has bad things happen in life, but why critisize someone who's trying to be a positive roll model for people, especially kids? To me that's some BS crap and I don't see you out there doing anything like that [:@]

You can say whatever you want about it, but I think that's pretty low to talk smack about someone that is trying to make a difference in people's lives. Get to know him before you judge him. Totally unfair dude. [>:]

Old 10-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

And no I'm not going to turn into Denise and be all stupid and ignant and mad and start PM'ing peopleabout how much of awuss I amThat's all I had to say.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I think we all need a round of hugs....

Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I take crap too personal sometimes. So what. I'm guilty. Smack me around a few times and I'll be Ok

Quick Reply: from my deathbed to the Ford Ironman Triathlon World Championship