PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bluetooth mic placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Default Bluetooth mic placement

I am going to install a new aftermarket radio in my H3 if it ever warms up here. I was looking for opinions on the best place for the bluetooth microphone. Would like to use the onstar mic for it but I haven't seen anything about that with a aftermarket radio.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 PM

H3 or H2?
What brand of Bluetooth mic?
Are you getting an aftermarket radio because your OEM is broken or are you getting one for bluetooth capability?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:06 PM

I have a H3 and the mic is whatever comes with a Kenwood. I am getting a aftermarket radio to get bluetooth, ipod/iphone connectivity and siriusXM again. Right I don't have any of them now. I do really like the look of the OEM radio but it doesn't have any of those and it is much cheaper to go aftermarket.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM

Well, here is a suggestion (if you havent bought anything just yet):

Get this:
H3 Quick n? Simple Auxiliary In | Schwarttzy
This plugs in between your xm radio component (right behind glove box) and gives you an AUXILIARY input. I got this and it works. Your am and fm radio work and when you click on XM radio, its your aux. If you unplug your aux, you got xm radio again.
I never subscribe to XM radio. Too limiting no value to me.

Now I went 1 step further and got a BLUETOOTH adapter with MIC
Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: Cell Phones & Accessories
This plugs into AUX and the mic is great. Now depending how you tuck the wire you can place it anywhere. I placed it between the key and the center console myself.
When I drive, people hear me clearly even when the windows are open.

Like I said before, I dont find XM radio as having value (to me). I use TuneIn Radio app which has tons of content on there. Or Pandora or Sound Cloud or music stored on the phone itself.

So about $35-$80 can keep your OEM radio in place, XM Radio intact and give you AUX input that you can wire your phone directly up or purchase the Kinovo adapter and gain bluetooth.

NOTE: I eventually bought a
Amazon.com : Parrot Asteroid SMART Digital Media Receiver with Navigation, Apps, Multimedia and Hands-Free Bluetooth : Vehicle Dvd Players : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Parrot Asteroid SMART Digital Media Receiver with Navigation, Apps, Multimedia and Hands-Free Bluetooth : Vehicle Dvd Players : Car Electronics
for my H3 but I did transfer the quick-n-simple and kinovo to my H2. It still works great

Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM

Mine is ran up to the overhead center console in my H2. If the mic is decent, you can probably just run it inside the window trim up somewhere near the rearview mirror. For a completely different approach, you can buy something like a Costar unit that converts Onstar to bluetooth.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM

Atari800- I don't have XM in my H3, so no XM module to hook up to. Forgot to mention that I want to add a back up camera later as another reason I am switching.

Skeptic- By the rearview mirror was where I was thinking. Guess that's where I will start. Costar look good but a little expensive and with all the other things I want I just figured aftermarket was easiest.

Thanks