PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

blown motor after valvoline oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 AM

Egro, this woman left you and took the H3. In my opinion it is her issue now.

Yes, the low oil light would have been on if they didn't put enough oil in it as soon as she drove away.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM

Follow the paperwork trail. It was fine the whole time that you took care of it.
Then she got so nasty with you , that you stopped. Now you guess she took it to a service station. where is the paperwork? I believe she drove it to the ground with engine light on. (nothing worse than a woman's scorn.)
oh by the way she wants you to fix it now........she'.s really gonna be friendly to you again cause she has nothing to drive!!! I may not know a whole lot about auto's cause I spent a whole lot of time with woman.
Dude I feel sorry for ya but there is just something not right with this
story she telling you. Sounds like your a nice guy always trying to help her
just don't let her take advantage of you they call them ex's for a reason

Old 01-20-2015, 09:37 AM

You are a really nice guy to make any efforts to help her. Most of us would have simply responded "Sucks to be you!".

Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 AM

Thanks guys. I do agree with what all of you are saying. I was a very active member here up until last year here. Always great advice, and I miss that hummer. I'm not going to fix it for her. There's no way. After the replies I don't believe she's going to get anywhere with valvoline because that light had to be on if they didn't fill it up with oil. I just didn't think about that until you guys mentioned it. I really appreciate it. I'm afraid she's going to have to rebuild it from her own pocket. Thanks again. Hopefully I'll be back again with my own hummer some day soon. I really really really miss that thing.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Also, I honestly don't know how she's taken care of it since she left as far as keeping up with the oil changes and maintenance. This oil change is the only one she told me about. I just told her to let me know what happens. Other than that I don't talk to her.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:28 PM
rsc

The way I see it, you will have to prove that he Valvoline shop acted negligently. They are going to use the high mileage of the vehicle against you and the length of time before the engine broke (in months and mileage). The question is, can an engine operate for 1000 miles with minimal to no oil in it for many start cycles over the course of a month before seizing? Next thing to defend against is that the operator should have checked the oil level at some point during that period as indicated in the owner's manual. I would push hard to get it fixed on their dime, or at least a portion thereof.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 PM

The 'oil' light illuminates then flashes when oil is low. 'Blink, blink, blink, ad nauseum' Hard to miss. Sucks. But I know a woman who had her Jeeps oil changed at one of these quick oil change places and they put on the wrong oil filter. Left her stranded on the freeway. Oh, they paid for the new engine. Good Luck

Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 AM
Cool Have the last laugh..........

Why don't you offer to "take the problem off her hands" and buy it back at a heavily discounted price. Do the motor change out yourself. It would be a "win-win". She would no longer have a problem and you would get your H3 back.

BTW, those quick oil change shops usually have you sign a work sheet that basically resolves them of any issues once you drive away from the shop and it seems like your EX put at least 1000 miles on the vehicle before the engine went. Checking the fluid levels is the vehicle operators responsibility. I also find it hard to believe there were no indicators of a low oil level.

Last edited by choochmalooch; 01-21-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by egroegart
Bunger has it exactly right. It has almost 170,000 miles on it now. But as those of you who remember me I took meticulous care of my hummer and it was mint inside and out. I took care of every maintenance issue myself and all of the oil changes when we had it together. I was even taking care of it still after she moed out for probably the first six months. At some point I told her I wasn't going to take care of it anymore because she turned into a pretty nasty person. Anyway I guess she started taking it to valvoline instant oil place to change the oil. This is all she told me. She just called me out of the blue the other day so I was just curious. I too question the oil light. I didn't think of that. I know there are a lot of safety systems on this vehicle. I knew that hummer inside and out. I'm now wondering if there could have been one catastrophic event that seized the engine. But where did the oil go then? The garage she has it at now says there is no sign of leakage anywhere underneath. So if there was oil then where did it go? And if they didn't put enough oil or any at all I think the oil light would have been on. I have no clue but I told her I would try to help.
Now I get it…

Situation is still the same, the oil light would have been going mad for ages and ages before the engine went, depending on what actually happened.

Women are stupid with stuff like this, a mate of mine had his misses pick their car up after getting work done, the workshop forgot to fill the radiator, and the engine started to boil almost instantly, dash lights flashing, alarms beeping she just kept driving till the engine seized. When asked why she did not stop she just shrugged her shoulders and said,"well I had to get home what could I do?" Workshop did not have to pay as she contributed greatly to the damage, if she had shut the engine down when warning lights were flashing no damage would have been caused.

Like I mentioned before, the oil could have burned up in the engine, my work car cracked a piston and slowly burned the oil in the sump as it was driving along, then the oil light stated to flash (first thing I noted), so I shut it down straight away and had it towed.

Anyway, just leave her to it, no longer your problem, she has caused her own dramas, and now expects you to bail her out.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Lol here's what really happened. By the way have you actually seen the hummer since she "told" you all this?? Since you said she turned into a nasty person she probably got tired of you asking about the hummer and sold it behind your back then told ya the oil story and will soon tell you it's toast and can not be fixed. She's keeping the money from the sale so she does not have to give ya half. This is all speculation of course and I hope I'm not right. Good. Luck either way.

Quick Reply: blown motor after valvoline oil change