PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstien 5100 shocks installed after lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Default Bilstien 5100 shocks installed after lift

Hi Guys
I finally got around to doing my front end torsion lift. Lifted to 23" center wheel hub to fender.Then I had new wheels and tires put on as well as bilstein 5100. My mechanic did all the installs. I went from stock 265/75r16 to 285/75r16 tires. Now my front end lift measurement is 24". I guess the 0-2"lift front shocks actually lifted the front 1" from 23" to 24". Has anyone else experienced this? I am planning on backing off the torsion bolts to bring me back to 23". I know guys have gone higher than 23" but that is my target height for now. Is backing off the height the correct thing to do?
Thanks for your help

Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 PM

Shocks have nothing to do with the lift. Neither do the tires (you are measuring from the center of the hub to the fender; tire size is irrelevant). It's more likely that you adjusted to 23", but then didn't drive around and recheck/remeasure. Just adjusting puts side pressure on the tires and will hold the suspension in a bit of a bind. When adjusting the torsions, you MUST drive a bit, THEN do a final measurement.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 PM

Thanks 650HAWK
I did the lift about a week before the new shocks. The height definitely changed and I did readjust. Oddly after a lot of research before buying the bilstein shocks I came across one person who said the new shocks did add additional lift. After the install I did get an alignment done which needs to be redone. My steering wheel is slightly off center when driving straight so my mechanic is doing again no charge. I guess my real question is do I drop to desired height , realign and hope that the height will hold? In your experience does the lift height change often and if so is a realignment required after slight adjustments?
Thanks

Old 11-19-2015, 06:17 AM

Shocks don't lift the front end unless they are air shocks.

As AK stated you must drive the vehicle after adjusting the torsion bars. Several hard nose dive stops and hard nose up take offs usually do the trick.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 AM

Only air shocks or coil-overs will lift a vehicle. Any other shock has no supporting properties; it only smooths out the action. Springs (Torsions in the H3's case) are what lift & support the vehicle. You can take both of those Bilstiens, lay them on the ground, one fully compressed and one fully extended...neither will move towards the other. The other person who claimed that they added lift is wrong.

Different conditions "could" affect the height; load in the vehicle, parking spot (level or not, flat or twisted, etc), if you drove straight for at least 20 ft before parking or if you parked at the end of a tight turn...even alignment (toe-in could cause the tires to want to come together, forcing the suspension in and "lifting" the vehicle while moving forward, but "dropping" the vehicle in reverse. Toe-out could do the opposite.)

After I lifted mine to about 23", after a day or so, it had increased to nearly 24", so I brought it back down a tad. Now, it is typicaly between 23"-23.5", but can vary a bit day to day.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 11-19-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Like the guys here said, drive it a bit, recheck, get an alignment.

Shock do not provide lift.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the replies guys
. Will readjust after a bit more driving and realign. I do like the look with it leveled. In the last week put on 5 new rims, 5 new tires, replaced front and back shocks, leveled and replaced all speakers and sub. Wasn't cheap but worth it