PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Bilstein 5100 rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Default Bilstein 5100 rear shocks

On the Bilstein 5100 rear shocks for 06 H3
what # do i need
F4-BE5-6254-H5 or F4-BE5-6254-H6
thanx

Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM

i believe its the H6

Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 AM

Contact Brodie from Ridge Demon: sales@ridgedemon.com

He will have the answer for you and prob the best price out there!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Default H6

I purchased my rear Bilstein's from Shockwarehouse.com. The part number is F4-BE5-6254-H6. $159.90 with free shipping.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM

how do you like those shocks by the way. i want to get them for all 4 corners eventually.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

my guess is that not 1 in a hundred drivers in average use would ever be able to detect the difference btwn good stock and the high price brand,xcpt for the window sticker that says,"i spent a lot!"

found this piece of honesty on a shock site.

Shock Absorber / Strut Myths
Q. Changing the shocks / struts on my vehicle will make it ride "better" or "softer"..... A. How a vehicle "rides", or "feels by the seat of your pants", depends on many different things.

• 1. Tire pressure: (make sure yours is set at what your owners manual says, NOT what the tires says).
  • 2. Wheelbase: (short wheelbase vehicles tend to be more rough).
  • 3. Tire & Rim Size: (Shorter or less forgiving side walls (low profile tires) tend to be more rough).
  • 4. Road Conditions: (Rough roads are rough roads, some roads are worse than others).
  • 5. Suspension type: (Torsion bars and leaf springs can be less forgiving than coil springs).
  • 6. Using performance or lowering springs: (Typically these would be stiffer and have a different rate).
  • 7. Lifting a vehicle: (With stiffer springs and tighter suspension parts).
Shocks are only ONE part of a suspension. What you "feel" is a combination of the list above, and other things, including all the other suspension parts, from swaybars, springs, frame-type, etc. Shocks (or Struts) are only ONE part of the total suspension.
Remember: a shock or strut's PRIMARY function is to hold the tire in contact with the road. Just changing the shocks / struts is not likely going to change what the vehicle manufacturer built into a vehicle's characteristics. Car companies spend MILLIONS of dollars to make a vehicle feel a certain way when driving. Spending a few dollars on shocks is not likely to alter what they have done.
How a vehicle rides is something that cannot be "plotted or graphed" scientifically, it is a matter of opinion. There is no 'measurement' or 'scale' for 'ride'. 10 people can drive a vehicle, 5 will says it's a Lincoln ride, the other 5 will say it's a dump truck. It's up to the individual.
We do not recommend buying shocks or struts specifically for trying to change the "ride" of a vehicle, that is not what shocks or struts do. The products we carry typically are designed to give a vehicle better handling, control, and safety. Will they maybe change the "ride", what you feel in some way? Probably. Can that be predicted ahead of time? No.
We know it's a tough decision sometimes to choose the right shock. But we want you to purchase a product for the right reasons, and get something that's right for you and your driving.

part of bilstein bs is "lighter weight,reduces unsprung weight" the difference btwn 2 shocks couldnt be a few ounces of unsprung weight, the effect of which, couldnt be detected with scientific space age measuring devices.

so as usual,if the ego demands,,,pay up!!

Last edited by drtom; 02-23-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
my guess is that not 1 in a hundred drivers in average use would ever be able to detect the difference btwn good stock and the high price brand,xcpt for the window sticker that says,"i spent a lot!"

found this piece of honesty on a shock site.

part of bilstein bs is "lighter weight,reduces unsprung weight" the difference btwn 2 shocks couldnt be a few ounces of unsprung weight, the effect of which, couldnt be detected with scientific space age measuring devices.

so as usual,if the ego demands,,,pay up!!
I think most get the Bilsteins for the front after they have leveled for the extended travel. As far as the rear there may not be an advantage. I don't know.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

yeah i forgot the travel and even some say its not too impt,but if the sway bar is unhooked ya need something to keep it together!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm not sure the goal of that write up but they must not be selling shocks! ha ha They did not mention different valving for shocks is the biggest difference. Larger shafts for more abuse also is favorable. That was like saying all shocks are the same?
I finally changed out to the Bilsteins front and rear. My H3 as setup is heavy and I like the control they provide. I wanted the front for a little longer shock to fit my redesign of other front end components. I have them in the rear as well which seems to control wheel hop on washboard gravel and dirt roads better than my OEM after 18,000 miles. Which could be because those were getting tired. Either way there are different shocks for different applications with different valving based on vehicle weight and amount of stiffness desired.
The choice for the H3 is very limited. In fact the Bilsteins say on the box they are for a GM 1500 series lifted truck.
I think sales@ridgedemon.com (Brodie) has come up with some rears with a different valving now, that might be my next shock.

Last edited by Hunner; 02-23-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Default shocks

I cranked the tbars, installed the longer bump stops (trailduty.com) and replaced the front/rear stock shocks with the Bilstein shocks. It rides much firmer than stock. It doesn't have that "mushy" feeling when popping over speed bumps.

My 2006 GMC crew cab rode the same way until I replaced the stock shocks with aftermarket shocks. Of course, I do that with all my 4 wheel drive trucks.......I know, its a sickness! ;>)

I installed the Firestone (#2460) 5,000lb rear air bag kit for towing. I got tired of my Alpha H3 squatting when hauling my jet skis. My H3 now rides like a dump truck! LOL

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100 rear shocks