PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Billy Boat Cat-Back or Gibson Exhaust for H3??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Default Billy Boat Cat-Back or Gibson Exhaust for H3??

looking to install either a billy boat Cat back or Gibson Dual Exhaust..

what do you guys think would be better and sound wise which sounds better.. i dont want to loud in the cab while ideling but want that mean growl when I punch it..

I have a Corsa Exhaust on my 04 Silverado SS and like that alot.. but i have heard B&B is real good to..

here are the two im looking at:

NEW B&B Hummer H3 Cat-Back Twin Tip Exhaust System - eBay (item 200515562271 end time Sep-28-11 07:31:19 PDT)

and

Gibson Exhaust System 06-07 Hummer H3 3.5L/3.7L 4WD/AWD - eBay (item 130515460458 end time Sep-28-11 10:09:02 PDT)

let me know what you guys think

Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 AM

Sports exhaust on a small engine in a heavy car will be tiresome.
It's OK on a V8 where you dont have to press on the gas pedal all the time.
But on the I5 , specially uphill , the sound would be unbearable.
I thought of giving the H3 extra growl, but the prospect of heavy sound uphill put me off..If you dont have ups, but only highway driving, I guess it would be fine..Good luck

Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 AM

I installed the MagnaFlow Performance exhaust on my truck and love it. I have a 07 with the I5 and can honestly say that I've never been annoyed with the sound coming from my truck. It's never been "tiresome" or "unbearable" at any point in time.

Different exhausts sound different, so I would try to find some sound clips before making a final decision.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
I installed the MagnaFlow Performance exhaust on my truck and love it. I have a 07 with the I5 and can honestly say that I've never been annoyed with the sound coming from my truck. It's never been "tiresome" or "unbearable" at any point in time.
X2. Don't rule out MagnaFlow, excellent welds, quality clamp, accurate hangers and great sound.

BB is a good choice. Early on there were complaints regaring the exhaust tips tarnishing excessively, but I do believe BB responded to that and it hasn't been an issue that I have see in at least 2 years.

Gibson systems are also a good choice.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 AM

Magnaflow is a great system, I have one on my Alpha. Quality and construction is second to none, and I have the resonator removed on mine.

If you're looking for that "growl" when you get on the gas however, you will not get that with the Magnaflow system unfortunately.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
Magnaflow is a great system, I have one on my Alpha. Quality and construction is second to none, and I have the resonator removed on mine.

If you're looking for that "growl" when you get on the gas however, you will not get that with the Magnaflow system unfortunately.
I'm not sure what growl you're talking about, but when I get on mine, it's not quiet. I'm sure it's more pronounced and better sounding with an Alpha, but even on my I5 it turns heads.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
I'm not sure what growl you're talking about, but when I get on mine, it's not quiet. I'm sure it's more pronounced and better sounding with an Alpha, but even on my I5 it turns heads.
Oh it does, I just guess what I'm not trying to say is it's no Silverado SS with dual flowmasters. My buddy has one of those and THAT thing growls.

The growl you hear from the driver seat is more engine noise, which becomes more pronounced with an intake, and less exhaust noise.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Draketh
Oh it does, I just guess what I'm not trying to say is it's no Silverado SS with dual flowmasters. My buddy has one of those and THAT thing growls.
If I'm not mistaken, any Chevy S.S. package is true dual exhaust, not 2 pipes coming out of 1 muffler. That could be why they sound as good as they do.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 AM

thanks guys for all your responses.. I actually went down to the muffler shop where i live here in Florida... I have no hills here in FL, and with the setup im going i will not have alot of cabin noise. I dont want to sound like I have a $29.99 Advanced Auto bolt on muffler like you see on those rice burners.. now thats annoying..

I have decided Im going with the Magnaflow exhaust with a K&N air intake..and custom pipes from the muffler assembly forward..someone mentioned about taking out the resonator, also doesnt the H3 have 2 mid section mufflers or converters i should say?? can i of these be eliminated and NOT void the warranty.. i still have 1 1/2 yr bumper to bumper on mine

here is the pic:

im getting all this for $600 out the door!!

I have a 04 Silverado SS with the Corsa Exhaust.. some were saying the SS came with duals but in fact im pretty sure it came with one exit pipe coming out the right side.

I should be getting this setup in the beginning of Oct.. waiting on the K&N to arrive at the shop...im also going to dyno test to see the increase in power will try and get video as well

Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
X2. Don't rule out MagnaFlow, excellent welds, quality clamp, accurate hangers and great sound.

BB is a good choice. Early on there were complaints regaring the exhaust tips tarnishing excessively, but I do believe BB responded to that and it hasn't been an issue that I have see in at least 2 years.

Gibson systems are also a good choice.
I have one of the early B&B exhausts with the tarnishing tips. I called B&B and they said they would re-polish the tips for me. All I had to do is pay for shipping both ways. IT wasn't worth it. The exhaust is sitting in my shed.

Quick Reply: Billy Boat Cat-Back or Gibson Exhaust for H3??