PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon HID converstion ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM

You will not receive vehicle specific instructions for HID kits off Ebay. They aren't made for specific vehicles but are universal in their design. Its up to the buyer to decide where to mount the ballasts.

Other than that, installation should include the stock headlight wires going to the relay harness, relay harness red wire going to the positive battery terminal-black wire to ground, quick connects from relay harness to each ballast, then the ballast to the HID capsule (bulb).

Pretty simple if you understand how the system works, I don't currently have HID's in mine so unfortunately I don't have pics for you but worst case I can take pics of the wifes Sky if no one else has any.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by emtae001
I just installed this with the relay kit:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

A bit of a pain and now high beam is low and low is high. Don't know why
Sounds like you have the trigger wires reversed. There should be a plug in the kit that physically plugs into the stock headlight bulb plug/socket. Usually they take the signal voltage from there to determin which beam is selected.

You may have put everythign together correctly as instructed, and they just ****ed up the wiring harness. My Starr HIDS were wired factory wrong. Never cut power to the relays, was killing my battery.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
You will not receive vehicle specific instructions for HID kits off Ebay. They aren't made for specific vehicles but are universal in their design. Its up to the buyer to decide where to mount the ballasts.

Other than that, installation should include the stock headlight wires going to the relay harness, relay harness red wire going to the positive battery terminal-black wire to ground, quick connects from relay harness to each ballast, then the ballast to the HID capsule (bulb).

Pretty simple if you understand how the system works, I don't currently have HID's in mine so unfortunately I don't have pics for you but worst case I can take pics of the wifes Sky if no one else has any.
Didn't buy off eBay. Bought off a site that came very highly reccomended by other Hummer sites as well as other truck and car enthusiest boards, retro-solutions.net.

Paid nearly $180 for the kit so I do expect vehicle specific instructions. I would hope to get some kind of documentation for that coin, LOL!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Just off the phone with Retro-Solutions. As I thought, for $180, I'm on my own. Should have saved $120 and bought them off eBay. Not happy at all with the lack of documentation.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by rob07002
Just off the phone with Retro-Solutions. As I thought, for $180, I'm on my own. Should have saved $120 and bought them off eBay. Not happy at all with the lack of documentation.
That is true, there aren't many kits out there that are vehicle specific with instructions. Almost ALL HID kits are bulb specific and not vehicle since technically the bulb is all that matters.

Live and learn but at least is wasn't anything too major right?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikeyd
So no instructions on where to mount the ballasts, ground the harness or mount the relay.

Where do you folks mount them? Pictures would be great!

dont have any pics but i put my ballasts on engine side of rad cradle just beside the access opening for each headlight. grounding the harness should always (my opinion) be back at the battery and i mounted relays between battery and firwall
It doesn't matter where you stick the components. Both of my ballasts are mounted outside the radiator. Relay is mounted on the drivers quarterpanel, and there is a ground tap point there by the battery also. But it all depends on your kit, mine was specific for the H2 so I had the correct lenths of wire for all the components. There is no wrong way, just do what you think looks the best.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM

I hooked them up last night and they work. I do like the HID's, just not happy with the kit. Aside from no documenation or vehicle specific instructions, I paid the extra $9 for the specific H2 kit, which is supposed to atleast be setup for our trucks. Well, wrong, the eyelet that you are supposed to connect to the positive battery terminal was too small, so I had to run to Pep Boys at 7pm and get bigger eyelets, cut the one that came heatshrinked off, and attach an eyelet large enough for the batt terminal bolt. So if this kit was specific for H2's, wouldn't the eyelet be 3/8" since this is the factory bolt size for H2's? Again, the kit works and looks good, but I will not be a return customer and do not reccommend Retro-Solutions.net.

I may need to adjust the height of the headlights, is that done by simply adjusting the 3 bolts found on the back of the headlight housing with the reverse torx end (star shape)?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by bflorin
Sounds like you have the trigger wires reversed. There should be a plug in the kit that physically plugs into the stock headlight bulb plug/socket. Usually they take the signal voltage from there to determin which beam is selected.

You may have put everythign together correctly as instructed, and they just ****ed up the wiring harness. My Starr HIDS were wired factory wrong. Never cut power to the relays, was killing my battery.
Yes I just changed the configuration in the plug of the harness and everything works great!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM

Btw, someone on elcova forums just posted pics of their HID install if your curious where they mounted all the components.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Not reason to be scared ... It happens almost always ... You need to test hi/lo in the blue plug ( use a test light and switch from Hi to Lo to later change positions ) ... Thats all