PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better gas mileage anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Yes, that is pretty much how I drive.. Now my wife on the other hand might remind you of a pizzed off Cabby in NYC during rush hour... lol

Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

lol thats funny. I am truly impressed a bigazz H2 gets 17mpg :thumbsup:

Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 PM

I got 1.3mpg better after changing all Diff. fluids, trans, and T-case fluids to Royal purple. did the work myself and was the best 200.00 spent. I was getting 11.9 now i'm getting anywhere from 12.9 to 13.3 depending how much hwy and city driving i'm doing. I also don't drive like and idiot I keep it 65-70 on the hwy. Next is an air intake.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Banned

Holyballs 1.3mpg from synthetics? Thats pretty excellent. The thing about those big v8's in the h2's is they are VERY responsive to mods ie intake, exhaust, and tuner. They breath better and perform better with those mods.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 AM

Yes, the synthetics are superior. Also I too have noticed that the RP products seem to allow stuff to operate a little more efficiently. I have run many different products over the years, most of which I guinea pigged on my own stuff first and found some to be snake oil.. But the RP I have been happy with, especially the gear lube & tranny fluid. Another company that is not as well known that also makes good fluids is Spectro. The synthetic oil & gear lube that they offer I have found also works very well.. Jamie

Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

Just as an fyi, F5stop, the HUMMER engineer on the forums, has advised against putting synthetic fluid in these trannies. He says the "appear" to run good with it now, but in the long-term the transmissions break down prematurely.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 AM

There is possibly some confusion and mis-information out there..

I have my degree in automotive engineering & technology. The main thing that kills trannys is heat and lack of flow and lubrication.

There are some different transmission fluids out there which have different ratings, bases and characteristics. Some are not compatible with others. However there are some companies that are now starting to offer some trans fluids that will work in all, or almost all applications.

I have had numerous discussions with our reps from the oil companies that we use including RP. Synthetics are superior. Actually If my memory is correct starting on 2006 the atf used by gm in the H2 & it's pick up lines and suv's is/was synthetic atf. it has gone from atf 3 (non synthetic to atf 4 & 5 which are synthetics. They have also lowered the viscosity going forward with some, however the heat tolerance & lubricity have improved every time which was allowing for longer service intervals on their end and lower warranty issues..

The main difference between standard ATF and synthetic is that synthetic atf has lubricity to it that the standard atf cant even come close to, also the molecular structure of a synthetic lube is more closely matched to all of the other molecules than non synthetic. It also will withstand higher temperatures over non synthetics without breaking down, it will also help to keep the seals more pliable and help them to keep their elasticity more so.

When properly researched and used, There is no reason why not to use a good synthetic ATF over a non, it is just not suggested to mix synthetic to non. So sometimes a flush or a major drain is in order first..

BTW, I will also be the first to admit using a better quality fluid or part still does not give on license to abuse the vehicle or neglect it. It only helps the vehicle to be more efficient or tolerant of things..

Just my 2 cents.. Jamie

Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Hey I'm not a damn scientist (lol) but I'm just telling you what the HUMMER engineer had to say about how it breaks down the trannies and seals and bands etc using synthetic. In fact I just did a google search and it appears GM advises against using synthetic in the trans too. BUT, who knows. Not saying your wrong, just telling you what I've heard.

Last edited by 85_305; 09-19-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM

No worries, I wasnt saying that you were not told that, however what posted is correct.

There is some old guard that cant be swayed and there are different types of engineers and there are obviously many different opinions. Just like who's oil & gas is the best.

I also had not seen the post of who the guy was that made that claim, but it may be an older one before the switch to the newer fluids. Actually some bottles of the ATF 4 & 5 now say on them that they are compatible replacements for atf 3.. Like I said there is some mis-information out there too.

Regardless of what one prefers or is willing to do or try, as long as you at least use what the minimum recommendation is and service regularly, you are safer than doing nothing at all.. Jamie

Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 PM

wanted to get a sampling on what gas people are using , are most people here using the 87 otane or are people putting in higher ? just wanted to know when people are saying your getting 13.mpg. i just wonder if a differnt otane rating whould matter .
mike

Quick Reply: Better gas mileage anyone?