PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Silly question but does the cylinder numbering start from the front of the engine or rear?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM

My vibration has been MUCH better since I took off my throttle body and cleaned it. I had about 28500 on mine when I removed the throttle body. At first look, when taking off the air intake duct, I thought it was going to be a waste of time. Outboard side still looked clean. I removed the throttle body and looked at the inboard side and it looked to be caked with tar. Took about 45 minutes (a full "Jackson" for any Drew and Mike fans) to make it look like new with some TB cleaner and a tooth brush. Idle smoothness improved quite a bit. I also ran a bottle of stp fuel system cleaner thru the tank .... Ran rough during that tank, but much better with fresh gas. I have noticed that the engine is almost cadillac smooth with a full tank oh gas. A full gas tank must also act as a liquid dampener. I'll post some pics of the TB when I get to my pc.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Talking

here are the before and after pics of my TB after 28,500 miles

Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 AM

pics didn't post......................dooohhhhhhhhhh

Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM

try again....

Attached Thumbnails Bad vibration at idle-dirty-tb.jpg   Bad vibration at idle-clean-tb2a.jpg   Bad vibration at idle-clean-tb2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Lightbulb

I have noticed that my H3 runs smoother with a full tank of gas....it idles pretty smooth til the tank gets to just over half full, then it vibrates just a little more (still better than it was before the TB cleaning). It calms down again at about 1/4 full, then I fill up again. I think the vibration must get dampened by the fuel in the tank -- maybe a resonant frequency problem?? I also noticed that my H3 runs smoother after I quit using speedway gas....not sure if there is a real difference in brands of gas...just an observation. My H3 also idles smoother when I don't turn on the AC or the recirculation. With the open vent on or the heater on, it runs real smooth. Maybe those who say theirs is 100% smooth don't use the recirculation or the AC much.

I also added a K&N filter element to the stock air box and that has also seemed to help. I think the TB cleaning was the biggest help in mine. Never knew it could get so dirty after only 2 1/2 years of driving.

I have 2 other friends that have 2008 H3s and theirs also vibrates at idle (more than mine) -- they didn't notice it til I pointed it out. Checked my wife's Saturn Vue (v6 - awd) and there is a bit of vibration in her steering wheel as well. I also didn't notice hers until I was looking for it. My 2005 Canyon was 10 times worse than my current H3.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
"Inline motors are more prone to vibrations and are not as "friendly" or comfortable as v motors."

i could show you a 49 buick straight 8 that you could sit your morning coffee on and find it at noon!! that thing was smooth as a clock motor,,well when clocks had motors!

tom

now a v 12,,thars a motor
how many journal bearings in that straight 8 crank vs the i5 crank
im guessing there is like 9 of them in that 49 buick
patterned after the packard

Old 11-27-2010, 10:30 AM
lex

Originally Posted by Widespread Hummer
Silly question but does the cylinder numbering start from the front of the engine or rear?
number one is closest to the grill

Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Smile Engine Vibration & Throttle Body Gunk

Originally Posted by joewcob3
I think the TB cleaning was the biggest help in mine. Never knew it could get so dirty after only 2 1/2 years of driving.
New member here doing a search for a friend who is interested in purchasing a newer model H3. We test drove a 2007 yesterday and noticed the engine vibrated noticeably at idle. Have never driven one before so wasn't sure if this was normal or not. You can't trust a salesman to give you a straight answer (no offense to any salesmen here) so here I am...

Anyway, I noticed your comment regarding the dirty throttle body. From the looks of the pic, it appears to be oil residue that has been redirected to the combustion chamber by the crank case ventilation (PCV) system.

All internal combustion engines suffer from some degree of blow-by. In early motors it was simply vented to the atmosphere - until the clean air types said that's a no no.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, they make an oil catch can that addresses this issue. I have one installed on my 2010 Hemi Challenger and it definitely works to remove the oil that would normally be routed into the throttle body by the PCV system and burned by the motor.

Just a comment that you can take for what it's worth - what with inflation and all... probably not much.

Happy Motoring from the Great Northwest.

Mike

Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 PM
qui

Kind of an old thread, but does anyone have an order of places to look? (motor mounts, then something else, then something else, etc)

When I'm moving, I don't have any steering wheel vibration. But when I come to a stop, there's a point where it will noticeably start vibrating the steering wheel, and occasionally I can feel it in the seat. When I start moving again, it goes away.

I looked this issue up for some other cars, which led me to motor mounts. When I looked up how to check them, the instructions where more or less have a buddy rev your engine while you look at it for movement...

I had someone tell me to check some "Steering linkage"? Anyone familiar?

No check engine light, rpms are more or less steady (every 9-14 seconds or so it'll drop *slightly* but it does it routinely.)

Quick Reply: Bad vibration at idle