PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Back up Camera... Wheres yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Default RE: Back up Camera... Wheres yours?

ORIGINAL: rotten

ORIGINAL: D VADER

IMO the license plate and hitch are to low and also exposed the the worse elements. My plan is to mount mine hiher so I can see more traffic. The lower position all you see is the immediate car behind you or obstacle. I feel a need to see more than that. I want to be able to have mine on all the time since are rear view is so poor. The top of the H3X fiberglass spare tire tub is perfect for a camera install. I'm not sure how I will get my power yet but that's my plan
You made some very good points there.
Most of the cameras are pretty well sealed though, and it doesn't seem to take much abuse where the license plate is. By the hitch kinda scares me that i'll smash it hooking up a trailer. But it is more ideal being centered there.

Having it mounted low does give you a very odd perspective, and stuff seems further away then it really is. The main problem i see with having it up high, is it is more visible to vandals.

As far as power, mine is hooked up to my license plate light, so anytime I want it on, all i have to do is flip the lights on.

The receiver on mine is wireless and i have to unplug it when i get out or it interferes with the keyless remote. I need to just hook it to a 12volt on with ignition wire i guess.
In Inclimate weather the hitch and license plate ares are disaster zones for visability not to mention the rear of the Hummer is a dirt magnet. The new cameras are very small and almost unnoticeable. My H3 is black and a small camera lens mounted to the Spare tire carrier should be almost un-noticeable.

I still have this on my list of "To Do's" but I do want it to be full time since the rear visibility stinks.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:28 PM

I did not want to deal with it being ripped off as the license plate is bent up (as is teh case with alot of theH3sIhave seen actually used offroad). I mounted mine in the center cap ofthe spare tire. I put on quick connections so it can be removed when the spare is needed.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Rodzlla

I did not want to deal with it being ripped off as the license plate is bent up (as is teh case with alot of theH3sIhave seen actually used offroad). I mounted mine in the center cap ofthe spare tire. I put on quick connections so it can be removed when the spare is needed.
Excellent idea!! Can you give us a pick of your install?

p.s.- what camera did you use?