PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back up camera mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Default back up camera mod

Greetings!
I just wanted to share how i installed a back up camera for my H3. The mounting is custom made from a stainless steel sheet then painted black. I had it made by a friend who has a shop that makes plaques. He borrowed the HUMMER as a bridal car for his wife as payment so don't know how much it could've costed. Peace!

Attached Thumbnails back up camera mod-1.jpg   back up camera mod-3.jpg   back up camera mod-4.jpg   back up camera mod-5a.jpg   back up camera mod-7.jpg  

Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM

nicely done. Now go make me one please

Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM

thanks! haha. i can send u a pdf file of the technical drawing i made for the dimensions if u want. i was trying to upload it but the site didn't let me

Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Very nice. I could use one of those. I have been thinking of doing something similar. Did you run the wires through the vent behind the spare tire bracket?

Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 AM

yes, through the vent behind the spare tire bracket, then through the conduit by the hinges of the rear door, then behind the side panel of the cargo area, then under the door sill panels all the way to the front

Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 AM

Very Nice Joe2, what kind of view do you get? I was studying the spoke holes myself as figured that was the perfect spot for the camera but had not quite figured how to mount it to keep out of the way and give good view. Then one of my cameras was pretty small so I ended up mounting it just above trailer hitch as was easier for me. It gives a good view and hooks into the reverse light wire on trailer plug for power. I also have a front camera for wife parking in lots where the small car in front disappears below hood line. Here is my rear camera and view.

Attached Thumbnails back up camera mod-back-cam.jpg   back up camera mod-back-view.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM

wow, that's an awesome view. mine is downwards. the top most part of the screen is 5ft from my bumper. the lowest part is almost aligned with the spare tire. i'll post pics tom. i was looking for a small cam like yours. where did u get it from and what brand? also, how did you run the video cable?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:07 PM

I got the small camera off ebay and it was called a (Mini Reverse Backup Rear View Video Camera) 24.00 and free ship plus came with a bit to drill the perfect size hole in bumper.
The power wire goes over and ties into my backup wire on back side of trailer plug so when put in reverse the cam powers up. If you pick up the plastic door sill for the rear cargo door on the left side you can look down and see the ground thru a couple holes. I brought the video wire up thru there then under and behind the same cargo area panel you did on left and under the left side rear and front door sills like you did.
Camera gives a great view and I back up to let yellow line touch a grill or bumper and spare tire is about 1 1/2 to 2 ft from the vehicle or other object.
The front camera was a little trickier as you have to get 1 to reverse image and put in a switch to turn it on when wanted. I will try to take a pic of it tomorrow with switch and view. Front camera I think was 27.00 off amazon and came with a bit also.

Attached Thumbnails back up camera mod-frt-cam.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 AM

here are pics of my views. I really like your set-up though. I'm thinking of doing your way. I found was able to find the mini cam on amazon. btw, are the guide lines a feature of the cam or your screen?

Attached Thumbnails back up camera mod-9-copy.jpg   back up camera mod-10-copy.jpg   back up camera mod-11-copy.jpg   back up camera mod-13-copy.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Nice mod, I thought about doing that but the cover on the back tire won't allow it lol.

I bought a I/R waterproof back-up cam off ebay ($15 shipped) and it works great! Easy to hook up as well. It was important to me not to drill anything and also be able to take it off if I ever sell (yeah right).

Here are a couple pics of my setup.

Here is a CRAPPY CELL PHONE pic from last night, this is uneditted and taken at about 10pm.

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 09-25-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: back up camera mod