PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Automatic wipers???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Default Automatic wipers???

I just bought a used 2003 H2 and today when I started it, the front wipers went on by themselves and I could not turn them off or adjust the speed. It is raining where I am, but it also was yesteday and they were working fine. I dont think i touched anything, but is there a setting that leaves them on auto and turns them on if it's raining?? I checked the manual and there's nothing about this issue.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Automatic wipers???

Must be a bad wiper switch.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:36 PM

I can see that if I just didnt have control, but these wipers are on all the time. And like I said it was raining yesterday and everything was normal. It's still raining very lightly here, but I'm guessing when it dries up they'll still be on and I'll have to pull the fuse. Should I take this to a Hummer dealer, or to the Ford dealer than sold me the car? They're liable for 50% of parts and labor for 2000 miles as per their modified warranty.

Also, the winshield washers don't work. Not sure if that's the same fuse. But if it were a fuse problem I'm guessing the wipers wouldnt work at all. Do the hummer's even have rain sensors?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:40 PM

I would take it where you bought it and tell them you want Hummer to fix it and pay half.........My best guess is the wiper switch, although i'm sure it could be something else. Let Hummer work on it.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:51 PM

To answer your question, NO Hummers do not have rain sensors. There is a park switch in the wiper motor that has most likely gone bad. I would call the Ford dealer where you bought it and they may take care of ot 100% since it was bad when you bought the truck.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:51 PM

thanks for the advice. All the other electronics are working fine, and the fact that it just happened out of the blue is weird. I mean yesterday the wipers worked fine and I had full control of them and today all of the sudden they have a mind of their own. But yeah I'd much rather take it to a hummer dealer than have someone from ford working on it, even if it's just a simple fuse or switch-related issue. i still dont feel too bad though, since the POS i traded in for the hummer is about to lose a serpentine belt that isnt a factory part, and has a slw of other things wrong with it that they arent aware of.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:16 AM

Theres a circuit board in the wiper motor that goes bad, it cracks then the wipers come on when ever they want. The circuit board is replaceable, the whole motor doesn't need to be replaced.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 PM

Thank you all for your input. For whatever reason the wipers are back to normal today. Nevertheless I made an appt at a local Hummer dealer to have the circuit board/wiper motor looked at, plus a 40 k service. I want any and all electrical issues resolved before the installation of my nav/aftermarket sound system.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:59 PM

there's a TSB on this issue, your Hummer dealer should be able to tell you if your vehicle has been through the process. as for the washer, did you make sure the reservoir was full?

Old 08-28-2006, 10:23 PM

yes unfortunately the reservoir was full. I still dont think it's a major issue and odds are if I left it alone it most likely wouldnt happen again but I'm going to get it taken care of, esp since the vehicle needs a scheduled service anyway.

Quick Reply: Automatic wipers???