PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone see or know of "dangerous" tire situation w/ 35's

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Default Anyone see or know of "dangerous" tire situation w/ 35's

I know all manufacturers say a 315x75x16 needs at least a 8" wide wheel. Has anyone here seen or heard of this size tire unseating on the factory H3 7 1/2" wide wheel? I do not plan on going under 20 psi and if that will be a problem I can keep the pressure at 35 psi all the time. I just do not want to get killed by my tire coming off the rim. I will be getting the tires next week and am concerned.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:36 AM
Default RE: Anyone see or know of "dangerous" tire situation w/ 35's

don't be concerned one bit!! in another thread I mentioned the guys running 35's that made it through rubicon and live in Moab, the air-down low and are using stock rims and haven't had any problems at all! If it can handle hells gate and other extreme obstacles without popping the bead it will be fine for most anything

Old 09-05-2006, 03:38 AM

Your tires are not going to come off the rim because you don't have a 8" wide rim. If anything, they will hold the wheel better. Why would they come off? They recommend an 8" because they feel that using anything less will cause a slight (depending on width) amount of accelerated tire wear (in the center). They will not unbead themselves because the rim is too narrow. Unless of course you plan to run them on bike rims.. lol.

So, ... dangerous... NO. Will they rub, yep... probably. Will cranking the t-bars help.. nope, not likely. Unless of course you crank them up all the way.. at which point, tires & wheels will be the least of your troubles.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:44 AM

I have a base running 265's when I bought it. I have tried many rim/tire combos at my buddies rim shop. two and a half turns on the t-bar nearly elimintated all the rubbing running 35's on stock rims. slight slight rub on full lock right but thats it.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:45 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

I have a base running 265's when I bought it. I have tried many rim/tire combos at my buddies rim shop. two and a half turns on the t-bar nearly elimintated all the rubbing running 35's on stock rims. slight slight rub on full lock right but thats it.
But you're still saying it rubs.. even if just a little. I'd also have to ask if that's "trail rub" or "street rub" because they are two totally different animals. I've had trucks with suspensions that didn't rub on anything around town, even at full lock. But get them out on the trail and it would rub bad enough to leave black marks in the roof of your mouth... LOL.

T-bar cranks and index keys.. I still think 35's will rubs with either, or even both. Especially out on the trail. But, I don't think it will be horrible rubbing.. just some contact. That's perfectly exceptable if the one who owns it is willing to live with it.. I just call 'em like they are, and let those that want it, make an informed choice. Will it rub, yes probably.. but I doubt it will be so bad that you regret going to the bigger tires... t-bar cranks and index keys will help matters, but will not likey solve them completely.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM

on stock rims, yes there is a slight rub at full lock...doesn't matter trail or street, suspension can travel to its max and you won't have a rub. But on aftermarket rims there is no rub at all, at least not on mine.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:15 PM

Importkiller, can we see a photo of your aftermarket wheels & tires on your H3?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 PM

sure....once I get them mounted
My friend has a wheel shop and ownes an h3 also so the experiance I talk about are from the wheels and tires we tried out over the months. I ordered my tires on Friday so they should be here by the end of the week. I'll post a pic then.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 PM

Sounds good, I would like to see them and hear an updated report.

What brand and style did you go with?

Old 09-05-2006, 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

on stock rims, yes there is a slight rub at full lock...doesn't matter trail or street, suspension can travel to its max and you won't have a rub. But on aftermarket rims there is no rub at all, at least not on mine.
Well, I hear what you're saying on the suspension. But more often, what might not rub on the road, will rub on the trail .. or can I should say. The H3 isn't exactly the flexiest beast around, so that may be a factor. I'm used to vehicles that have a LOT travel in the suspension, so often that creeps into my thinking.

For perspective, 36" long shocks, with 15" of travel, using about all of it. This is my buddy's K5.