PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have/had rear brake grind?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Default Anyone have/had rear brake grind?

My 2006 H3 has almost 8000 (eight thousand) miles. It has begun to make a grinding from the rear when braking. It sounds like warped rotors. Have any of you experienced this issue? (I, unfortunately, don't have the luxury of dropping it off at a local HUMMER dealer.)

Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Default RE: Anyone have/had rear brake grind?

I haven't had that problem. The only thing I've noticed about the brakes on the hummer is they sometimes grab a little too well, and will bring you to an abrupt stop.

If you're having a grinding issue, then I would get under there (plenty of ground clearance) and have a look for yourself.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:21 PM

On another vehicle, not my H3, I had a small tiny rock get inbetween the pad and the rotor. Try backing up and braking gently. It worked on the other car to dislodge the rock. Not sure if it will work here, but it's free to try.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM

I have a bit of that. Not under light braking,...but under medium to hard braking, especially at 30 and under I hear what sounds like the rear brakes grinding. But it's aslightly lower in tone than the usual brake grinding,....more of a growl.

A friend who is an engineer at the GM proving groiunds and works on the breaking systems for GM (Caddy CTS-V, ZR1, G8 etc) was the first to notice it. He wasdriving it one day and told me that the rear brakes were grinding.

I pulled all 4 wheels one at a time to inspect the brakes, and all had 50 + %of theirmaterial left. I suspect it is just asmall flaw in thedesign.

My Subaru and some of my past BMW'shad metal arms with small weights hanging off the rear calipers to absorb this vibration. I don't see anything like that on the H3.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM

I have a similar problem. It's more like a moan. I was thinking like Willie and some debree between the pad and rotor. Does the sound come from both or one wheel?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:40 PM

Wow, all you guys responded quick. I would say Duckstu has my scenario. I especially hear it during the stop-and-go, low speed (<=30 mph) part of my journey when applying light brake peddle pressure. The sound is probably more the growl/moan you guys mention. In words, eeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. =) It doesn't sound like metal-on-metal (LOL- at least not yet).

Old 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM

My moan from the brakes are almost at a stop. It doesn't happen all the time.
Service Depts love random ocurring complaints.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Not me, but I know what you got.

Subject: Brakes Grunt, Groan, Grinding Noise from Rear When Vehicle Comes to a Stop (Refinish Rear Rotors) #07-05-23-004 - (09/26/2007)
Models: 2006-2008 HUMMER H3
Condition
Some customers may comment on a grunt, groan or grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a stop.
Cause
Rotor corrosion generates a slip-stick condition transferring vibration through the suspension.
REPLACE THE ROTORS ONLY IF THE ROTOR THICKNESS IS BELOW THE MINIMUM THICKNESS SPEC AFTER REFINISH.
Correction
Refinish the rear rotors by removing 0.4 mm from both rear rotor surfaces.
Do not replace the brake pads unless the condition requires it (i.e. excessively worn, damaged, or contaminated).
If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. This allows parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:44 PM

You know guys, it could always be a differential sound. I mean, I've noticed when comming to a stop, and the H3 has to quickly downshift to first gear, I will often geta strange growl sound. It's actually quite normal.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM

I have this same noise on my 07 H3. I took the Hummer in to have this checked out and was told by the service manager at my local Hummer dealership that the noise is caused by the parking brake pads located inside the rear drums. He said this was normal and there isn't anything he can do about it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have/had rear brake grind?