PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions for a inexpensive HP upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Default Any suggestions for a inexpensive HP upgrade?

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the Hummer group, but I can understand the facination with these vehicles now. I love my H3, one day I'll move up to an H2, but for now my 2006 H3 is perfect. Enough rambling, could anyone let me know if there are any somewhat inexpensive engine upgrades for extra HP that has been tried with good results? I have around a $1500 budget to get some extra juice. I've checked online at several websites, but for real opinions on quality products, real customer reviews would be great. Thanks guys.

TJ
P.S. I'm not a mechanic, so install suggestions would be great or if I need to get it professionally installed, could you let me know? Thanks.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Default RE: Any suggestions for a inexpensive HP upgrade?

This just came on the market, but the reviews are pretty positive. I have it and would recommend it.

https://www.hummerforums.com/m_143587/tm.htm

Please note: The company owner/lead engineer for this product is a bit of a smart-***.....So beware.

He sux but the product does'nt.....

Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Gunner, Doc isn't all that crotchity. LOL Try that and PCMforless. Lots of people have gone that route.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:34 PM

$1500 - do the big 3 of intake, exhaust, pcmforless tune. You won't get a bigger bang for the buck than all of that. Airaid vs. K&N vs. OEM gets to personal preference. Exhaust is the same thing. Both have a bunch of threads so, hate to say it . . . but you'll have to form your own opinion after everything you read here.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Oh you guys are a riot!!!!! Crotchity..............never! []

Just think, I was one of the first to approve of 3hummers being brought in/on as a Mod. IK, Patrick......I rescind that!

Alrock is on it. Do the Big Three: 1) CAT back exhaust = appx $460-$850 depending on your brand selection;
2) a performance intake; sometimes referred to as a CAI = $150-$475 depending on what you are looking for; and
3) PCMforless.com PCM tune = appx $200.........and they recently had some 2006 price specials.

Now, since I make an intake kit, I think you can't beat the current introductory offer thru the forums of $149.99 + $15.00 shipping.
See this thread that my brud ([8D]) Gunner just linked:H3 Hummer Performance Intake Systems

Bashing the competition is not what I do, but I will say a couple things about an Airaid. First, they make a very fine filter, even though I prefer K&N, just MHO.
Next, they did not finish the job! Here is what I mean: Airaid has a excellent quality filter, but tries to make its power gains through and open air filter box
(lid removed) with the barricade in the corner behind an added on metal with rubber to hood seal. The idea being that the partitian closed off by the rubber
moulding the surface of the inside of the hood isolates the rest of the underhood engine heated temperature environment allowing the intake to catch an increased
volume of air concentrated from flow behind the headlight/turn signal area of the grill.

A picture speaks volumes. Courtesey of rhill20: his H3.
Name:  rhillEngine.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  113.1 KB

I do not have a lot of faith in that approach, but more importantly, Airaid left the factory intake hoses and throttle body resonator box in the system. That chunk of factory intake does rob power, no question.

The AirDocIntake uses a 3.5" diameter smooth steel pipe with mandrel bend to increase air flow once taken in as the source of the motor's combustion air charge. The lid stays on the box, all the rest of the factory intake hoses, resonator box, and air filter box inlet snorkel tube are replaced with all stainless clamps and 4 ply silicone hoses. Substantial overkill for an intake, but isn't a Hummer overkill for a truck? Take a look. The air is grabbed from outside the underhood heat, through the factory fender hole to the inner passenger fender. Stays cool all the way into the throttle body inlet.

Name:  AirDocConfi2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  146.4 KB

Get a filter of your choice, get this kit, and you will smile at about $200.00 or less! One of the BIG Three down, two to go.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm thinking the PCMforless option and Doc's kit with a K&N (because Doc knows it will work easily with his product)would be a good start. I still have to buy some new tread, so I'll look into the exhaust down the road, but awesome start. I too have a lead foot like Gunner and Hummerguy, but I do enough driving everyday, I want to enjoy it. I'll contact Doc here in a bit, I'm in Canada so I'll have to figure out the shipping with him. Thanks again guys. I'll let you all know how it all works out.

TJ.

If anyone has any other ideas, lets keep this post going for other novices like myself. Awesome help on this site guys, I used it once before when I added a PAC adapter to add a extra amp and subs in the H3 and the info on the worked great too.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 PM

If you plan on wheeling your rig, you might want to take the following
pictures into consideration before making a choice on CAI suppliers.

Keep in mind, this is what I found in my stock air box while installing Doc's kit.

Then imagine what kind of shape that open box CAI would be in.

The above is a direct result of this kind of crap:

Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Doc, Gunner said you were a smarta$$ and that you sux. Saying you weren't that crotchity was coming to your rescue. LOL

Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 PM

Now if3Hummers and Gunnerwere talking about IK I would have to agree
[/align][/align]BTW, welcome to the forum ToddsH3!!!![/align]

Old 03-11-2008, 08:02 PM

I haven't had an issue with gunk in the open Airaid box but I've also avoided those situations - and it's hard to find mud like that in AZ. It's a liability I've been considering and I may go to K&N and a closed box. Undecided for now.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for a inexpensive HP upgrade?