PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Another Road Trip Report - Detroit to Buffalo

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 PM
Default Another Road Trip Report - Detroit to Buffalo

Racked up another 600 plus miles this week. I had to travel from near Detoit, Michigan to Buffalo, New York. I opted to drive the H3 because: 1. I like driving, 2. I would have to rent a car when I got there, 3. Great Lakes weather is unpredictable.

On the way there I went through Ontario 401 403 QEW.. On the way back I came through NY, PA, OH, and Michigan. Here are my observations.

I always keep my passport up-to-date. It's best to have it when traveling through Canada. You can get NEXUS or an enhanced drivers license, but nothing beats a passport. Keep it in a safe place.

You will need a Canadian Proof of Auto Insurance card. You can get it from your Inurance carrier.

It's allegedly faster to drive across Ontario, but the speed limit is 100 Kilometers Per Hour (62) MPH.

Gas was a little more expensive, about $1.15 per liter. Food was much more expensive! Even with the exchange rate ($1 = 1.22 Canadian) I felt like I was being gouged.

Check with your cell phone carrier on rates and so forth. Roaming and data charges can add up.

Notify your credit card company or bank before traveling, especially if you have fraud protection.

Be prepared for the tolls. I think I spent about $15 in tolls round trip. You will need cash in some places.

The trip through customs and Ontario was shorter and uneventful, but there is no doubt you are a visitor when you are there. I had no problems at the border but the guy in front of me coming into Buffalo had a problem that delayed me.

The scenery is epic. If you have time slow down and take pictures. I didn't and wish I would have.

I decided to not to return through Ontario. The trip through NY, PA, OH and MI was longer. However the speed limits were higher, gas and food were cheaper, my phone and data incurred no additional charges and I just felt more comfortable.

New York traffic was ridiculous, but I expected that! The beauty of Cleveland's lakefront surprised me but was quickly ruined by extremely aggressive traffic enforcement in Ohio. They use unmarked Taurus with plainclothes agents to monitor traffic. I'm ethnically ambiguous so I get profiled and followed every trip through Ohio. Troopers were everywhere and pulling over people left and right.

Mileage was about 18-20 mpg on the highway.
I got the oil changed and an alignment before I took the trip. BFG TA/K02s continue to impress me. They are quiet and handle well. The truck performed well, even on steep grades.

It was a long drive but necessary.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

I usually do that rip through Ontario. In 30 years + driving in Canada, only been pulled over 1 time, warned because my tires stuck out too far with no fender flare, never mentioned speed at all.

OH is just unfriendly with highway patrol.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:32 AM

I will keep that in mind. It is definitely quicker going through Canada, if Customs is not backed up. I will make that the route of choice.