PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another fuel consumption question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:25 PM
Default Another fuel consumption question

No dont worry ... I wont start another old thread about how to save fuel ..lol

my question .. Is there a dispositive which connected to the obd can read actual fuel consumption.
I have torque app and the bluetooth (blue) thingy but it doesnt read that data
I can almost answer myself ... If the pcm dont have that function nothing will be able.to give me that data
bit asking is always worth it

Old 12-16-2018, 11:09 AM

The PCM does have that. You can see it on the display on the cluster using the steering wheel buttons. Average economy, instantaneous economy are there in MPG or LPG (if you have things set to metric). You can also set it for individual drivers and see how one driver compares to another.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
The PCM does have that. You can see it on the display on the cluster using the steering wheel buttons. Average economy, instantaneous economy are there in MPG or LPG (if you have things set to metric). You can also set it for individual drivers and see how one driver compares to another.
mixman ... you mean with an obd scan or the dash display .. remember mine is a 06 . Not sure if the option was incorporated after the 08 .
I will double check with the scan and torque app

im going in a 2000 miles Rt and would like to have that useful info while driving
thx

Old 12-16-2018, 06:45 PM

Mine is a 2003..... I thought that all 03-07 have that built in??? No idea on the new ones though. Its the lower buttons on the steering wheel. Same place it tells you oil life left, only way you can use the odometer, set options like english/metric, headlight on delay after exit, doors unlock at key off of in park or never, etc, you can also turn the display totally off too (I usually keep mine turned off). A lot of important features on those buttons...

Old 12-16-2018, 09:21 PM

The torque pro app has a calculated value that when set up correctly it should give you instant and average MPG,

you need to set the vehicle stats, you can fine tune it with the efficiency numbers and I believe it also has a correction factor that you can fine tune based on your calculated MPG

It may also use tank volume but I'm not sure on that one.

Neal

Last edited by legerwn; 12-16-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Mixman ... I know there is an Avg mpg but never see an actual mpg read . I will look again but I had play with those buttons a lot and never got.to that .

legernwn ... I have torque . Used a couple time for mpg but I.was.wondering if a real measure from pcm was possible. Torque give you an estimate I guess based on Rpm and avg consumption.
still a great app . I will set it up correctly and test it on the trip.
by the way I cant resist to ask whats your mpg .. mine is at 11 combined 60 hyw and 40 city
or 10.4 60 city / 40 hwy
cant believe Im still talking about mpg after all these years
lol

Old 12-17-2018, 07:46 AM

My 2003 H2 had the instantaneous MPG readout on the dash buy my 06 does not.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:27 PM

I am pretty sure my 06 does. You have to hold the button to get it reset and it will start ticking or down up as you drive.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:09 PM

Odd - I would have assumed the 2006 would also have the instantaneous MPG readout like the 03 does. Its the same electrical system, same instrument cluster, same steering wheel controls, etc. I guess maybe they removed it in the software for some bizarre reason.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 PM

Lojac .. Not the same function. The Avg is different than instant mpg... When you reset it it will give you a false reading for the next few hundred miles . .you will see either high numbers (17 mph ) or very low (5mph) till the pcm have enough information to process an avg mpg
However .. you may be right.. Now thinking I may be able to use it ... If reset while on the highway it will give me a false reading but still will read my driving habits and will give me a accurate mpg variation vs speed

Quick Reply: Another fuel consumption question