PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amtrak Auto Train

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Default Amtrak Auto Train

Hello,

Looking to take the auto train on Amtrak from DC to FL in November. I am looking at all the specs and it would appear I am 1.5 inches too wide for what they say on Amtrak's site. They spec out at 84" max width. I called them, and the not-very-helpful sales woman told me that they go by the manufacturer spec so I shouldnt even bother measuring the vehicle, if the manufacturer specs exceed Amtraks.

My question is, has anyone tried this with their H3 anyway? I am wondering if 1.5 is really gonna through it off, or if they say this so they can leave themselves some room to work with. On their site they say "You may bring vans, suvs, trucks, and motorcycles as long as long as they meet certain dimension requirements". So vans and trucks, you would think fullsize pickups and vans as in conversion vans.

Any experiences with this?

Thanks,
Josh

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Amtrak Auto Train

Just as a follow-up, I got in touch with the yard where you load your car on in DC, and they confirmed that YES you can bring on an H3.