PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpha Steering Shaft Issue just got real interesting!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Default RE: Alpha Steering Shaft Issue just got real interesting!

Okay, The bolt looks like it has a standard thread, Here what you might want to do.Is there a GOOD Hardware store by you? If so take the bolt out, I would put a little grease on it because it is bent and could get hard towrench off. The top of the bolt will have GradeMarks (as attached is a SAE Grade 5). Now when you get to the Hardware store, find where the "nuts" are and make sure you find one that turns onto it easily, then find a bolt that matches up in length and that the "nut" goes on it easily, then check the top of the "Head" and match up the markings to get the right grade bolt. Take home and wrench it back on. Wa la your done.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't risk doing the bolt yourself,, something else could be bent,, and they could use your work as a reason not warranty the damage. better to just take it back and MAKE them do it right.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 PM

I got some pics of the other H3's on their lot.....they have bent bolts like mine does....????

Did GM make some bent and others not?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 AM

Nope, bolts don't come from the factory bent, some nit-wit bends them with an over zealous impact wrench. It your case the yoke is also bent as well as the bolt and the dealer needs to fix it. I'd E-mail them your photo and tell them you EXPECT it to be fixed right or you're going to write a nasty letter to GM/HUMMER (dealers hate that) and the BBB in your community. Bad P.R. is a dealers worst nightmare.

I can see how they bent the yoke but I have no idea how they bent the bolt. It's probably NOT the original bolt, it may be some mild steel bolt they stuck in there to get it out of the shop.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:32 PM

well, I guess the intermediate shaft issue didn't end with the 07s...

I'll be picking mine up from the dealer in an hour,

Diagnosis: Intermediate Shaft Replacement.

JP

Old 03-21-2008, 04:02 PM

See I knew I wasn't crazy!

What dealership is fixing yours????

Old 03-21-2008, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep
Nope, bolts don't come from the factory bent, some nit-wit bends them with an over zealous impact wrench. It your case the yoke is also bent as well as the bolt and the dealer needs to fix it. I'd E-mail them your photo and tell them you EXPECT it to be fixed right or you're going to write a nasty letter to GM/HUMMER (dealers hate that) and the BBB in your community. Bad P.R. is a dealers worst nightmare.
Brandi,
That's exactly what I told you to do weeks ago. So what are you waiting for? Please do it before that bolt breaks and something terrible happens.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:50 PM

well, the texas dealer said they would fix it.....but that's a long ride!!!!

Also, I'm not done with the ding bats up here.....I'm talking to the owner again, to let him know what's going on.....and I keep checking everything to make sure I'm ok!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM

Coral HUMMER here in Pompano Beach, FL.
As soon as I started describing the vibration, they knew to order the shaft... They said is was a known problem 06-07, but mine was the first 08 that they've seen it,(I think mine was probably one of the first 08s built)

JP

Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Brandi, Get it taken care of as soon as you can. I would also tell your nitwit dealer that you have documented the problem and they have assumed some huge liability until they fix it.

Quick Reply: Alpha Steering Shaft Issue just got real interesting!