PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All full on Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Default All full on Nitrogen

I'm curious. I just left the dealership and they decided that in order to finally fix my TPMS issue they were going to put nitrogen in all five tires. Has anyone heard of this before? Concerns? Excitement? They said this should resolve the roller coaster TPMS readings and help the tire issues overall (no more fluctuations or refilling)... I guess Nascar uses nitrogen in their tires. This is very expensive for dealerships to use so it's not always offered. After 6 visits to the dealership re: the annoying "low tire" signal they tried this new solution. we'll see???

Old 11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Default RE: All full on Nitrogen

should have asked for nitrous oxide - then you could have a little fun with it and go back next week and say it's low again . . . . . .[8D]

oh, no idea on an answer to your question, sorry . . . . .[&o]

Old 11-02-2007, 05:34 PM

There's a couple of tire places here that use nitrogen. I guess they say that weather changes can decrease the air in your tires, but nitrogen is not susceptible to weather change!!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:03 PM

Nitrogen, being a pure, dry gas is less susceptible to pressure changes caused by temperature. It is also a larger molecule so it does not escape as easy as air....so it maintains a more consistent pressure with changing conditions.

Many places around here are offering nitrogen, Costco only uses nitrogen in their tire shops..its really not that expensive.

I think it would help you IF you have a samll leak or the temp changes significantly in your area...other than that I don't think it will help, just my opinion...

Old 11-02-2007, 08:05 PM

In my opinion either nitrogen or CO2 is better than air. Nascar does use nitrogen as well as almost every airplane. Fillingthe tires with nitrogen reportedlydoesa couple of things: 1) it eliminates moisture, and 2) it replacessmalloxygen molecules with fat nitrogen molecules which reduces the rate at whichthe airdiffuses through the porous tire walls.Theoretically at least,a tire filled with nitrogen retains optimal pressure longer and may provide more uniform tire wear and better gas mileage.

Does it really help? Probably not very much. If the air you are putting in your tires has a high humidity level then it may be helping a lot because nitrogen has no or little humidity. Same with CO2. I use CO2. A 10 pound CO2 bottle will fill about 12 H2 tires. Cost me about $24 bucks to fill the tank so that's about $2 a tire. I have a PowerTank CO2 unit because I use it primarily for refilling my tires after off roading. It will take an H2 tire from 24 pounds to 40 pounds in about 1 minute 15 seconds.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 PM

I saw a report on TV just the other day on Nitrogen. Over a year's time the Nitrogen retained 1lb more air than regular tires filled with regualr air so they didn't think it was worth the price.

HOWEVER, they just had them aired up and sitting in racks taking out the all important usage variable. So the Nitrogen supporters said that test was invalid and useless.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM

i bet if they filled em up with helium it would get a few more MPG