PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airdoc Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

yeah,bean cans def outflow pringle any day.
im still waitin for guaranteed mpg figgers,got my credit card ready.
any addon that pays me back in less than a year is on my wish list

Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Any of you guys know how to tune a PVC intake through a flow bench?

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Come on Doc.....We ALL know the Pork 'n Beans cans work the best!
I guess nobody can come up with a real answer????

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by drtom
yeah,bean cans def outflow pringle any day.
im still waitin for guaranteed mpg figgers,got my credit card ready.
any addon that pays me back in less than a year is on my wish list
Nobody making any performance mods can guaranty specific improved MPG figures, because........... it depends entirely on too many uncontrolled variables, and is dependant on how YOU drive. I will try to give you the short and simple example.

Your MPG depends upon the altitude, temperature, humidity, and road and traffic conditions where you drive. Add to that, what type of fuel are you burning (I do not mean octane, I mean brand, burn the cheapest Venezuelan crap you can find, and you will not get the same MPG as when burning Marathon.. the difference being minute, but when thrown in with other variables you get the idea); what size, brand, and type of tire you have, the PSI in those tires; whether you are using synthetic or regular motor oil; and the mechanical condition of your vehicle. None of that can be controlled by the manufacturer of performance parts.

Next, what invariably happens, is Joe Public buys a (*insert performanc part here*/intake/PCM tune/CAT Back Exhaust/E Fan conversion/underdrive pulleys/roller tipped increased ratio rocker arms/high flow CAT(s)...) and the FIRST thing they do is test it by driving wide open. They like the new sound, different feel, and butt dyno improvement, so for the next ?# of miles they drive like AJ Foyt wherever they go, sometimes for a few days, others for months? So that guy's MPG does not improve, it actually goes down for a while. Can a performance part maker control how long or when that guy returns to driving whatever his "normal" driving is? ....... And during that AJ Foyt style time (say in spring), that guy switches fuel brands, tires, never checks his tire PSI, it is now summer and 15-20 F warmer, and then checks his MPG.

Then I ask, how does that guy "check or measure" his/her MPG? How long was he/she measuring it pre-mod, did they go to the same gas station same fuel pump, and how do they determine when the vehicle is re-filled?

That is why nobody will say buy my stuff and you will get 1.44MPG better fuel economy.

We know what our test vehicles can measure, got no idea what Joe Public is up to.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
I guess nobody can come up with a real answer????
I was trying to sarcastically point out that slapping any old tube between point A and B does not make a performance intake. The "shape" of the path has a HUGE impact on where and how the motor responds because it controls flow volume and velocity.

A PVC pipe may work great for a hot water tank vent, but slap any bend on a straight piece, or any two bends, and see what happens to flow..... not to mention that the joints create turbulence and interupt flow.

Its a free world, people gotta do what they think is what they gotta do.

You guys have fun with this thread, I am out.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info Doc. I was just curious as it seems a pipe from point A to point B (same inside diameter) would yield the same (or close) results? Doesn't seem to differ much from steel to pvc unluss a curve is introduced. I am just trying to understand it, not be a wise guy.

I have been on the fence and will probably pick up an air doc. However, I've often thought about throwing a section of pvc in and see what the result is lol (as a experiment)

Could one add two couplers to this and get the same results ya think?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-1

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 01-27-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned
Default long winded copout!

first,the fillup,
did they go to the same gas station same fuel pump, and how do they determine when the vehicle is re-filled?
this came up b4 and the guy claimed a 1.5 gal difference between various pumps if u just let it clik.
so im doing a study and will fillup at 20 different pumps. i go abt 100 miles and find a new pump,after clik i fill to top of pipe. so far at 5 pumps the diff between clik and final fill is .1 gal max. so on a 20 gal fillup it wont mean much.

but if the manufacturer cant do his own test on his own veh,under his own average driving and report back, then all we got is the same smoke and mirrors we get daily from our govt.

i drove 430 miles,at 18 mpg,changed air filt and next exact trip i got 20. all conditions same on ave so i figger the filt did something.

that was advance auto filt.

the big name filt shows a tiny hp increase at 4000 rpm! i dont spend much time there and ive read very bad reports on that filt. the advance was 14 bucks.

i always anxious to pop my card when the facts are ,,,facts,,,no bs

so show me the mpg!

Last edited by drtom; 01-27-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

first,the fillup,
this came up b4 and the guy claimed a 1.5 gal difference between various pumps if u just let it clik.
so im doing a study and will fillup at 20 different pumps. i go abt 100 miles and find a new pump,after clik i fill to top of pipe. so far at 5 pumps the diff between clik and final fill is .1 gal max. so on a 20 gal fillup it wont mean much.

but if the manufacturer cant do his own test on his own veh,under his own average driving and report back, then all we got is the same smoke and mirrors we get daily from our govt.

i drove 430 miles,at 18 mpg,changed air filt and next exact trip i got 20. all conditions same on ave so i figger the filt did something.

so show me the mpg!
You just illustrated my point precisely. I don't care what brand our how much it cost, it is impossible for a filter alone to increase 2 MPG in an H3. This is confirmed by the maximum CFM consumption of a 3.7L LLR, and the comparable flow rates of 14 different filters we tested, including the stock filter. You can run no filter and not gain 2MPGs. You measured differences in driving conditions and your driving, not the filter.

If you meticulously kept track of say 30 tanks of fuel before any mod, and then compare at least 10 tanks of fuel post mod (30 would actually be better) then you would have an average number pre and post mod that may indicate what the mod itself did. The key however is consitent driving manner for all of the measured tanks of fuel MPG.

This is not a sales thread, I am NOT a sponsor at this forum, so I am not even discussing the parts we sell, just topic disussion. Hence, I'm showin nobody nothin.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Each to their own, but I have an AirDoc and I am very happy.

I have always been somewhat sceptical of air intakes and the claims involved, but it always seems to be the first mod I do on all my trucks. Out of all the brands I have owned I can honestly say the AirDoc I am the most happy with. The price compared to the rest can not be beat (unless you decide to go with pringles) and the look and quality is awesome! Whether I am getting that marginal hp increase and any mpg increase or not, I am content knowing that it is better than stock.
Doc is great to deal with and he obviously knows his stuff and is doing something right because there are a lot of Hummer owners that run and will back his intake.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by largemouthbass
Whether I am getting that marginal hp increase and any mpg increase or not, I am content knowing that it is better than stock.
Well put!........exactly the way I feel!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 PM

first,the fillup,

the big name filt shows a tiny hp increase at 4000 rpm! i dont spend much time there and ive read very bad reports on that filt. the advance was 14 bucks.

i always anxious to pop my card when the facts are ,,,facts,,,no bs

so show me the mpg!
DAMN, you have lots of time on your hands!!!!!

Quick Reply: Airdoc Intakes