PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airdoc Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Default Airdoc Intake

Has anyone had any vibrations with the stock airbox using the Airdoc intake? I tried adjust the position of the intake and got rid of some of the vibrations. But the airbox just makes alot of noise from vibration in the cab. This is sometimes at idle and all the time when I come to a stop. Any ideas??

Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Yep. I do. I pm'ed Doc awhile back about it. Here was his response:

"It only happens when not installed correctly. I wouldn't drive my truck listening to a bunch of racket, and we do not expect you to either.

I do have a couple suggestions. When that happens, the vibration is transfered to the fender from the air filter box, and seems to come up into the dash behind the glovebox. You may have put a little bit of torque in the coupler and AirDoc pipe connections.

Try two things:
First, loosen 3 of the four T Bolt clamps leaving the one on the Throttle Body tight, make sure the AirDoc pipe is free inside the couplers (turn it or wiggle it a bit) wiggle the air filter box a tad, possibly even pushing it just a little bit away from the fender, check the pipe location is still lined up with the detent clearing the coil pack, and re-snug the clamps. Test it to see if you are good.

Second, if that did NOT work, repeat the same steps, but after giving the air box a bit of a wiggle, pull it away from the Throttle Body/toward the fender just a bit. Then test it again.

You may try losening the air filter box mounting bolt closest to the grill and give the air filter box a push closer to the throttle body when re-snugging it.

You have to get the couplers and pipe in a happy median, not twisting or pushing the air filter box from its original stock position. There is a little bit of margin for error in there so you should not have to be fine tuning it over and over. In a perfect world, it would be like you pulled off the stock set up, and then replaced it with ours without ever moving the air filter box in the slightest.

If you still are getting the vibration after the above two adjustments, please let me know, there is one more thing to try, which is basically the above, but also loosening the air filter box mounting bolts as well.... and then resnugging everything when you think it is all lined up nicely.

Glad to help and thank you for your feedback!

Doc"

I haven't had a chance to try his suggestions, but they make sense. I'm sure it will fix it.

WGW

Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM

IT_TORK, did you make sure you have 3/16" clearance from the silicone elbow to the molded fan blades? I think that would make a tone of racket.

I just installed mine yesterday, and i feel a huge increase in performance and that horrible Gasping-for-air sound you get when accelorating in 1st gear to 2nd gear is 90% gone!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 PM

I have no vibrations. When I installed mine, I assembled it all first without the clamps on. The shimmied everything into place as Doc suggested so there was little to no tension on anything, then put the clamps on and tightened.... no issues.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 AM

I tries loosening all clamps and doing what Doc suggested. Some of the noise was gone temporarily. But everytime I come to a stop I hear the air box rattle. Also I am always getting that gasp for air noise in 1st and 2nd. I have a 09 H3 with the I5. I dont have the elbow bend close to the fan blades. For the last 10k miles I have been battling this vibration in the steering wheel. Especially in the morning, the whole truck vibrates. Aside from the airbox. If anyone has any ideas how to get the airbox to stop vibrating it would be a big help.